Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-31-2003, 11:01 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Brotherd,

The problem is I'm having overflow on the intake area with NEW media. There shoudn't be any clogging or backing up with new media. Right?

Old 10-31-2003, 11:04 AM   #12

On the bottom of the filter, do you have the tilt selector to the max to make the back of the filter have a gap between the tank? It sounds to me as if the filter is leaning backward more than it should...
Old 10-31-2003, 11:13 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

brotherd, how many of the media spots are you using? With the sponge on the top spot in my filter, with new sponges, I get a small ammount of overflow into the intake area... even then, it is not spewing over to the intake side, the water is rriigghhtt up to the level of the intake area. with no sponge in the top, it doesn't overflow i think.

hrmm...

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 12:35 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Timbo2, the AquaClear 200 doesn't come with a tilt selector. I'll check to see if by tilting the filter system more foward into the tank takes care of my overflow issue, but from what I can tell, it just looks like the media is too much for the water to pass through at full flow. Ideally I was hoping to have 2 sponges with biomax or bioballs ontop, but that appears too much for the filter to pass without overflow. :-(
Old 10-31-2003, 12:49 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

On the bottom of the filter on the side that faces the tank there should be a little plastic tab. You snip the tab to the correct length to make it level with your tank.

If the tab broke off in shipping or something, you can level it out with some small blocks and tape.

I have always had a small ammount of water slowly going from the media to the intank side. I thought it was designed to work this way since that is how water recycles when you turn down the flow rate and the impeller pulls water from the intake tube AND intake area, which then gets refilled with water from the media bay. If water from the media side did not spill into the intake area, you would not be able to lower the flow rate.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 01:06 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

On the 200 I only use 2 spots.I don't run carbon or amrid just the sponge on the bottom and then a 1 inch layer of polyfilter.If I need to run carbon I still have room to add it.Typically I don't get intake overflow for a week and by then I am doing tank maint.on cleaning the filter media I replace the poly filter with new and rinse out the sponge thoroughly in water that was removed from that tank.Re install sponge without damaging the bio filter and I'm good to go again.You may have too much media in there as you suspected.How long has the filter been running?
Old 11-01-2003, 11:11 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Newbie

That's the problem brotherd. I was experiencing overflow issues immediately upon using my new AquaClear filter with a brand new sponge and 1 inch of poly-fiber.
Old 11-02-2003, 01:06 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

You got me then!I don't get it.Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Tags
aquaclear, clear

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com