Aquaclear 30

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Would using the impeller from the minibow2.5 filter OR the aqueon quietflow 10 filter work?

Its from the motor box

So wait, does that mean it's not the impeller? Try removing the impeller completely and turning it on for a couple seconds and if it still makes the noise then (obviously) it can't be the impeller. As far as I know this won't hurt the filter (I tried it myself). If it is the impeller, and Vaseline/petroleum jelly doesn't work, then the impeller itself might be worn/bent/damaged. If you call the company they might send you a new one.

I dont think there would be any harm in trying the other impellers, if they appear to be the same basic type and fit in the housing. The worst that could happen is it won't work. If all else fails, I've heard that canisters are generally pretty quiet :cool:

Is the filter level with the top of the tank? If it is not level you can get some weird noises. I usually adjust the leveler and it goes away. Either that or mess with the lid for a little to find the sweet spot. Never have problems unless I'm rinsing the media out and remove everything.

I took apart the quietflow stock with the tank and there is a HUGE cube of lube by the impeller, to keep it quiet. I triple-lubed my AC and it was quieter for a few moments. Now it's full out louder, what am I gonna do...?

I'm guessing Die In a Fire or something along those lines, judging from his multiple posts about how much he hates Aquaclears.

IME, not opinion, Aquaclears are the best HOB filters around. They ARE quiet when properly maintained and can give you years and years of service. I've been running an AC50 for 4+ years, and never had any noise problems with it.

I do bi-monthly maintenance on it and never gives me an issue. My AC30 (well not mine anymore) also gave me no problems other than the occasional loss of prime during power outages.

I have had good luck and bad luck with aquaclears as with anything they do make lemons with anything.

Any luck with your filter? Mine just started making a grinding sound like in your video, it's an AC50. It was silent until I did some tank maintenance this morning, and now it makes a constant grinding sound with an occasional lawn-mower sound thrown in. I'm going to try removing the impeller to determine if it is the motor that is causing the problem.

I feel your frustration ~_~

gabysapha said:
Any luck with your filter? Mine just started making a grinding sound like in your video, it's an AC50. It was silent until I did some tank maintenance this morning, and now it makes a constant grinding sound with an occasional lawn-mower sound thrown in. I'm going to try removing the impeller to determine if it is the motor that is causing the problem.

I feel your frustration ~_~

Has air in intake. Bounce it...

Yes I did that already. Still grindy. I'll have to call Hagen tomorrow and ask about it....

Rt on. The only noose on mine is.ky.DIY co2 diffuser. It hisses. It doesn't bother me hut drive my gf crazy bc its by my bed.

Derekkaine said:
I'd make sure that your co2 is not gassing off into your room.

Where else would it gas off? There's not enough co2 to do any harm...

I've only had a problem like this with an aqueon filter and I couldnt get it to work so I just returned it. However whenever my filters are making noise I always check for sand, like you did. I would try leaving it off for a little while, it may just work when you turn it back on.

Depends co2 is heavier than air and if you have poor air circulation in a room the concentration could build up.

Derekkaine said:
Depends co2 is heavier than air and if you have poor air circulation in a room the concentration could build up.

It's a very small amount produced from a coke bottle. And my room isn't vacuum sealed. So I think it should be cool... Idk.

Back
Top Bottom