Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-06-2011, 09:15 AM   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to QuietPlotter
Does the noise come from the filter?

Old 12-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #22

Would using the impeller from the minibow2.5 filter OR the aqueon quietflow 10 filter work?

Old 12-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietPlotter View Post
Its from the motor box
So wait, does that mean it's not the impeller? Try removing the impeller completely and turning it on for a couple seconds and if it still makes the noise then (obviously) it can't be the impeller. As far as I know this won't hurt the filter (I tried it myself). If it is the impeller, and Vaseline/petroleum jelly doesn't work, then the impeller itself might be worn/bent/damaged. If you call the company they might send you a new one.

I dont think there would be any harm in trying the other impellers, if they appear to be the same basic type and fit in the housing. The worst that could happen is it won't work. If all else fails, I've heard that canisters are generally pretty quiet
Old 12-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

Is the filter level with the top of the tank? If it is not level you can get some weird noises. I usually adjust the leveler and it goes away. Either that or mess with the lid for a little to find the sweet spot. Never have problems unless I'm rinsing the media out and remove everything.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:53 PM   #25

I took apart the quietflow stock with the tank and there is a HUGE cube of lube by the impeller, to keep it quiet. I triple-lubed my AC and it was quieter for a few moments. Now it's full out louder, what am I gonna do...?
Old 12-07-2011, 12:57 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

Let your filter DIAF
Old 12-07-2011, 01:13 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekkaine
Let your filter DIAF
Diaf? Wats that.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #28
AA Team Emeritus

I'm guessing Die In a Fire or something along those lines, judging from his multiple posts about how much he hates Aquaclears.

IME, not opinion, Aquaclears are the best HOB filters around. They ARE quiet when properly maintained and can give you years and years of service. I've been running an AC50 for 4+ years, and never had any noise problems with it.

I do bi-monthly maintenance on it and never gives me an issue. My AC30 (well not mine anymore) also gave me no problems other than the occasional loss of prime during power outages.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have had good luck and bad luck with aquaclears as with anything they do make lemons with anything.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:15 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Any luck with your filter? Mine just started making a grinding sound like in your video, it's an AC50. It was silent until I did some tank maintenance this morning, and now it makes a constant grinding sound with an occasional lawn-mower sound thrown in. I'm going to try removing the impeller to determine if it is the motor that is causing the problem.

I feel your frustration ~_~

Tags
aquaclear, clear

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com