Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to QuietPlotter
Aquaclear 30

It's making a really wierd noise. I dissasembled and cleaned it. Twice. Like it's priming, yet way quieter. It's almost like a shaking noise.

Anyone had this happen? I will make a youtube vid.

QP

Old 12-04-2011, 01:32 PM   #2

Youtube link-

www.youtube.com/user/mickeymedia28

The video is "aquaclear 150 rattle".

Old 12-04-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've got 3 brand new, just out of the boxes, making rattling noise. One is really bad similar to your video. I tried calling the company today only to get dead ended with an error message. So, I went on their website to submit a question. I'll let you know what I hear back.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My penguin 100 was loud like that when I first got it. Unless the impeller was in the "perfect spot" it made a grinding sound, and it rarely stayed in that spot. Eventually I put some pure, unscented vaseline on the impeller. It didn't have much effect to begin with but a day or so later it went silent and hasn't made a sound since.

I'm not aware of anything you can do to make it quiet other than lubricate it, but lubricating seems to work. I haven't seen any evidence of an oil slick or anything from it. Vaseline doesn't seem to be able to mix with the water in any way.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles
My penguin 100 was loud like that when I first got it. Unless the impeller was in the "perfect spot" it made a grinding sound, and it rarely stayed in that spot. Eventually I put some pure, unscented vaseline on the impeller. It didn't have much effect to begin with but a day or so later it went silent and hasn't made a sound since.

I'm not aware of anything you can do to make it quiet other than lubricate it, but lubricating seems to work. I haven't seen any evidence of an oil slick or anything from it. Vaseline doesn't seem to be able to mix with the water in any way.
I'll give that a try! Thanks.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:17 PM   #6

Ah. Vaseline is safe for limited aquatic use, yes. I will try this after I get home today! Meanwhile, did it work for you?
Old 12-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had gravel in my aquaclear 110 before, making a loose rattling sound, but not really a grinding noise. Took it apart and cleaned it twice, helped a little but the noise was still there. Few days later, the sound vanished and all was good.
Sound doesn't work on this computer, so can't view your video.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I just put the Vaseline on my noisiest one and.......WOW! That got rid of the rattling. It is almost silent now!! Thanks Miles! Hope this works for QP as well!!
Old 12-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sounds messy
Old 12-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Several of my HOB filters made a rattling noise when they were new, after they built up a little film on the impeller magnet and shaft they quieted down. They make the noise after cleaning for a few days also. I just don't clean the magnet or impeller sump when I maintenance them and they stay quiet. the vaseline is doing the same thing as a little bio film.

Tags
aquaclear, clear

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com