Aquaclear 30 issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppyLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It's been quite a long time since I've posted!

A few weeks ago I was doing a pwc on my 20g, unplugged my filter as I always do before a water change, and went along with my usual routine. I pulled a few pots out because I wanted to move them to my 50g but that is the only thing I did that was out of the normal. When I finished up my pwc I plugged the filter in and it didn't do a single thing. It didn't even make a sound. I have no clue what I did to it but I've only had it for a few months and I'd hate to pay for a new filter when this one is still awfully new. I have 3 other aquaclears and I've never had this happen before. I've tried plugging it in numerous times and its still totally silent and doesnt do a thing. Do you guys have any idea whats wrong with it and if/how I can fix it?

Have you checked to see if the impeller is jammed? My mother has a fluval edge 6g and while doing a water change as well I unplugged it and plugged it back in and nothing, just like your situation, turned out to be a jammed impeller, and with a quick rinsing all was well again.

Thanks for the quick responses!

How would I go about cleaning the impeller?

Unplug the filter, dump the water out, remove the siphon tube. There is a cover that need to be removed(it is directly under where the siphon tube fits in the filter) remove the cover and you will see the impeller. It looks like a little fan. Clean it with a brush of some sort. Also clean the impeller sump ( the opening where the impeller fits in the filter motor). Reassemble it and put back on tank, fill with water, and you should be good to go. If this don't cure the problem then you might need a new impeller. The motors rarely go bad. I have some Aquaclears that are at least 15-20 yrs old and still work fine. (with regular cleanings)

foster53 said:
Unplug the filter, dump the water out, remove the siphon tube. There is a cover that need to be removed(it is directly under where the siphon tube fits in the filter) remove the cover and you will see the impeller. It looks like a little fan. Clean it with a brush of some sort. Also clean the impeller sump ( the opening where the impeller fits in the filter motor). Reassemble it and put back on tank, fill with water, and you should be good to go. If this don't cure the problem then you might need a new impeller. The motors rarely go bad. I have some Aquaclears that are at least 15-20 yrs old and still work fine. (with regular cleanings)

That's the hard way of doing it. Just remove all the media, dump out the water, turn the filter over and twist the motor off 90 degrees. The impeller and motor will come out for a thorough cleaning. I recommend a cotton swab to clean the impeller and the motor housing where the impeller sits. When clean just replace the impeller and lube the o ring on the motor with water, saliva, or water based personal lubricant. Reverse the above steps and try to restart the filter.

Your Hagen Filter

Hello Guppy...

The impeller just needs to be removed and cleaned. Pieces of plant material can clog the blades and they won't turn. Just remove it and use a toothbrush to scrub the blades and stick it back in the motor. It's good to use a small bristled brush to clean inside the motor too.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello Guppy...

The impeller just needs to be removed and cleaned. Pieces of plant material can clog the blades and they won't turn. Just remove it and use a toothbrush to scrub the blades and stick it back in the motor. It's good to use a small bristled brush to clean inside the motor too.

B

As long as the brush doesn't have any metal on it. Every manufacturer will tell you that nothing containing metal should be used to clean the motor because it is an electromagnetic motor. I'm not sure what damage it will do but its always a good precaution.

I keep having to replace my motors for same issue. I've tried cleaning the impellers and no luck. You can order new motors from amazon and big al's if you need to. They also sell new impellers. Good luck

That's the hard way of doing it. Just remove all the media, dump out the water, turn the filter over and twist the motor off 90 degrees. The impeller and motor will come out for a thorough cleaning. I recommend a cotton swab to clean the impeller and the motor housing where the impeller sits. When clean just replace the impeller and lube the o ring on the motor with water, saliva, or water based personal lubricant. Reverse the above steps and try to restart the filter.
I used to twist the motor off, it is much easier, but as the motors get older and brittle the locking tabs break off. :facepalm:So I started doing it the other way

I have a ton. I mean like over 30 aqua clear filters. All of them have been running for years. Never once have I needed to replace a motor. Very often they won't start after a power outage. I take the cover off the filter, move the the u tube to the slow flow rate which will expose the impeller. I then rotate the impeller manually with a chopstick. The filter starts working again almost every time. Sometimes there is a snail stuck in there so I have to take it apart. That is rare however. If the water level in the filter is low and the filter has trouble starting I just add water to the filter until it starts working again. To the person who keeps replacing motors, I would love to go through your trash and see what other free working stuff you are getting rid of. :)

Thank you all SO much for the responses.

Unfortunately while I was carrying it into the bathroom I dropped it on the tile floor and it cracked. The corner next to the intake tube broke off but that doesnt look like it'll be much of an issue, the problem is I cracked the filter case right behind where the intake tube fits where it fills with water. The tank its being used on is on the 2nd floor so I cannot have it leaking all over. I can't feel the crack on either side of the plastic. Could I silicone it? Or even better is it possible to just buy the filter case? I would absolutely hate to replace the filter when there is nothing wrong with it other then the fact that the plastic cracked.

Try fixing it with aquarium safe epoxy and maybe if that don't work just call hagen and order a new case

Back
Top Bottom