Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Aquaclear 30 issues

It's been quite a long time since I've posted!

A few weeks ago I was doing a pwc on my 20g, unplugged my filter as I always do before a water change, and went along with my usual routine. I pulled a few pots out because I wanted to move them to my 50g but that is the only thing I did that was out of the normal. When I finished up my pwc I plugged the filter in and it didn't do a single thing. It didn't even make a sound. I have no clue what I did to it but I've only had it for a few months and I'd hate to pay for a new filter when this one is still awfully new. I have 3 other aquaclears and I've never had this happen before. I've tried plugging it in numerous times and its still totally silent and doesnt do a thing. Do you guys have any idea whats wrong with it and if/how I can fix it?

GuppyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Have you checked to see if the impeller is jammed? My mother has a fluval edge 6g and while doing a water change as well I unplugged it and plugged it back in and nothing, just like your situation, turned out to be a jammed impeller, and with a quick rinsing all was well again.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like the impeller, and housing need to be cleaned.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the quick responses!

How would I go about cleaning the impeller?

GuppyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Unplug the filter, dump the water out, remove the siphon tube. There is a cover that need to be removed(it is directly under where the siphon tube fits in the filter) remove the cover and you will see the impeller. It looks like a little fan. Clean it with a brush of some sort. Also clean the impeller sump ( the opening where the impeller fits in the filter motor). Reassemble it and put back on tank, fill with water, and you should be good to go. If this don't cure the problem then you might need a new impeller. The motors rarely go bad. I have some Aquaclears that are at least 15-20 yrs old and still work fine. (with regular cleanings)
Old 11-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by foster53
Unplug the filter, dump the water out, remove the siphon tube. There is a cover that need to be removed(it is directly under where the siphon tube fits in the filter) remove the cover and you will see the impeller. It looks like a little fan. Clean it with a brush of some sort. Also clean the impeller sump ( the opening where the impeller fits in the filter motor). Reassemble it and put back on tank, fill with water, and you should be good to go. If this don't cure the problem then you might need a new impeller. The motors rarely go bad. I have some Aquaclears that are at least 15-20 yrs old and still work fine. (with regular cleanings)
That's the hard way of doing it. Just remove all the media, dump out the water, turn the filter over and twist the motor off 90 degrees. The impeller and motor will come out for a thorough cleaning. I recommend a cotton swab to clean the impeller and the motor housing where the impeller sits. When clean just replace the impeller and lube the o ring on the motor with water, saliva, or water based personal lubricant. Reverse the above steps and try to restart the filter.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your Hagen Filter

Hello Guppy...

The impeller just needs to be removed and cleaned. Pieces of plant material can clog the blades and they won't turn. Just remove it and use a toothbrush to scrub the blades and stick it back in the motor. It's good to use a small bristled brush to clean inside the motor too.

B
Old 11-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury
Hello Guppy...

The impeller just needs to be removed and cleaned. Pieces of plant material can clog the blades and they won't turn. Just remove it and use a toothbrush to scrub the blades and stick it back in the motor. It's good to use a small bristled brush to clean inside the motor too.

B
As long as the brush doesn't have any metal on it. Every manufacturer will tell you that nothing containing metal should be used to clean the motor because it is an electromagnetic motor. I'm not sure what damage it will do but its always a good precaution.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I keep having to replace my motors for same issue. I've tried cleaning the impellers and no luck. You can order new motors from amazon and big al's if you need to. They also sell new impellers. Good luck

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01n3on View Post
That's the hard way of doing it. Just remove all the media, dump out the water, turn the filter over and twist the motor off 90 degrees. The impeller and motor will come out for a thorough cleaning. I recommend a cotton swab to clean the impeller and the motor housing where the impeller sits. When clean just replace the impeller and lube the o ring on the motor with water, saliva, or water based personal lubricant. Reverse the above steps and try to restart the filter.
I used to twist the motor off, it is much easier, but as the motors get older and brittle the locking tabs break off. So I started doing it the other way

Tags
aquaclear, clear

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com