Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 11-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
GuppyLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 903
Aquaclear 30 issues

It's been quite a long time since I've posted!

A few weeks ago I was doing a pwc on my 20g, unplugged my filter as I always do before a water change, and went along with my usual routine. I pulled a few pots out because I wanted to move them to my 50g but that is the only thing I did that was out of the normal. When I finished up my pwc I plugged the filter in and it didn't do a single thing. It didn't even make a sound. I have no clue what I did to it but I've only had it for a few months and I'd hate to pay for a new filter when this one is still awfully new. I have 3 other aquaclears and I've never had this happen before. I've tried plugging it in numerous times and its still totally silent and doesnt do a thing. Do you guys have any idea whats wrong with it and if/how I can fix it?
__________________

__________________

GuppyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Chris J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 308
Have you checked to see if the impeller is jammed? My mother has a fluval edge 6g and while doing a water change as well I unplugged it and plugged it back in and nothing, just like your situation, turned out to be a jammed impeller, and with a quick rinsing all was well again.
__________________

__________________
Chris J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
foster53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,626
Sounds like the impeller, and housing need to be cleaned.
__________________
foster53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
GuppyLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 903
Thanks for the quick responses!

How would I go about cleaning the impeller?
__________________

GuppyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
foster53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,626
Unplug the filter, dump the water out, remove the siphon tube. There is a cover that need to be removed(it is directly under where the siphon tube fits in the filter) remove the cover and you will see the impeller. It looks like a little fan. Clean it with a brush of some sort. Also clean the impeller sump ( the opening where the impeller fits in the filter motor). Reassemble it and put back on tank, fill with water, and you should be good to go. If this don't cure the problem then you might need a new impeller. The motors rarely go bad. I have some Aquaclears that are at least 15-20 yrs old and still work fine. (with regular cleanings)
__________________
foster53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
01n3on's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by foster53
Unplug the filter, dump the water out, remove the siphon tube. There is a cover that need to be removed(it is directly under where the siphon tube fits in the filter) remove the cover and you will see the impeller. It looks like a little fan. Clean it with a brush of some sort. Also clean the impeller sump ( the opening where the impeller fits in the filter motor). Reassemble it and put back on tank, fill with water, and you should be good to go. If this don't cure the problem then you might need a new impeller. The motors rarely go bad. I have some Aquaclears that are at least 15-20 yrs old and still work fine. (with regular cleanings)
That's the hard way of doing it. Just remove all the media, dump out the water, turn the filter over and twist the motor off 90 degrees. The impeller and motor will come out for a thorough cleaning. I recommend a cotton swab to clean the impeller and the motor housing where the impeller sits. When clean just replace the impeller and lube the o ring on the motor with water, saliva, or water based personal lubricant. Reverse the above steps and try to restart the filter.
__________________
01n3on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
BBradbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,353
Your Hagen Filter

Hello Guppy...

The impeller just needs to be removed and cleaned. Pieces of plant material can clog the blades and they won't turn. Just remove it and use a toothbrush to scrub the blades and stick it back in the motor. It's good to use a small bristled brush to clean inside the motor too.

B
__________________
"Fear not, my young apprentice. Just change the tank water."
BBradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
01n3on's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury
Hello Guppy...

The impeller just needs to be removed and cleaned. Pieces of plant material can clog the blades and they won't turn. Just remove it and use a toothbrush to scrub the blades and stick it back in the motor. It's good to use a small bristled brush to clean inside the motor too.

B
As long as the brush doesn't have any metal on it. Every manufacturer will tell you that nothing containing metal should be used to clean the motor because it is an electromagnetic motor. I'm not sure what damage it will do but its always a good precaution.
__________________
01n3on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Near Chicago, IN
Posts: 4,856
I keep having to replace my motors for same issue. I've tried cleaning the impellers and no luck. You can order new motors from amazon and big al's if you need to. They also sell new impellers. Good luck
__________________

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
foster53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01n3on View Post
That's the hard way of doing it. Just remove all the media, dump out the water, turn the filter over and twist the motor off 90 degrees. The impeller and motor will come out for a thorough cleaning. I recommend a cotton swab to clean the impeller and the motor housing where the impeller sits. When clean just replace the impeller and lube the o ring on the motor with water, saliva, or water based personal lubricant. Reverse the above steps and try to restart the filter.
I used to twist the motor off, it is much easier, but as the motors get older and brittle the locking tabs break off. So I started doing it the other way
__________________

__________________
foster53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aquaclear, clear

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.