Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2006, 04:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

aquaclear 30 or 50 for 20 gallon

The aquarium bug has bit me and I have now purchased a nice 20 gallon tank kit. Of course the obligitory Whisper filter was thrown into the box which i fear using (Whisper 20 by the way) and only will do so if the aquaclear I plan on getting should die. hopefully that will be in the very distand future. I have a aquaclear 30 on my 10 gallon but should I move up for the 20 gallon? The 50 is the next model up I think. I am leaning toward that. Thoughts?

Old 01-20-2006, 09:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Bhunsucker
I use AC HOB filters on my tanks and I love them. I would go with the model 50 for a 20gal tank. That would give you almost 10x turn over rate per hour. Take a look at bigals online they have good prices on them also. Good Luck.

55Gal FW Aquarium
AquaClear 110/500 Filter

45gal Clarity Plus Aquarium
Wet/Dry DLS Aquatics Filteration System
Bhunsucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

will do just that. Thanks!
Old 01-20-2006, 03:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I bought the 30 model for my 20gallon, and later returned it since Big Al's was $2 difference for the 50 model.

The only problem would be if you had fish that hated current, but the filter has an easily adjustable flow control so you could slow it down. You also get a bigger filter area so more bacteria can live on the filter inserts, which will allow for a higher bioload (more fish, or messy fish) in the tank, and it should slightly reduce your cycle time since you get a greater turnover than the 30 model in the same amount of time.

Basically there is no reason to go for the smaller filter in your case.

justin
Old 01-21-2006, 01:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I totally agree. My goal is to make the most of this tank. I don't want to be limited to a small number of fish nor do I want to jam pack the thing. I want to have a nice number of fish inhabbiting the diffrent tank levels. This whisper 20 does not ven look up to the task of handlling my 10 gallon, although my 5 1/2 lemon tetra tank has a whisper jr and handles that fine.

Tags
20 gallon, aquaclear, clear

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com