AquaClear 300

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The 46 gallon fish tank that I have at work has an AquaClear 300 filter. Is it necessary to still get a Power Head or an Aerator as well or is the waterfall action of this filter enough? It certainly looks like it'll be enough on it's own, but being a newbie to fishkeeping I'm not completely sure if it is or not.

- Mandy

It should be fine. I run one on my 46 for the watermovement/filtration and a eheim ecco canister for filtration as well. I tend to overfilter my tanks so that i can thoroughly clean one filter and still have another with the bacteria in it. The eheim is rated at 146 gph whereas the ac300 is 300gph.
I've seen your other post and depending on what fish you get you could possibly add a powerhead on the other side of the tank for better water circulation. Some fish may want/like the additional movement and others like calmer areas.

That filter is fine for 46 gallons. Unless you have some seriously messy fish like Oscars or any other large fish, that should be sufficient. You don't have to get a powerhead, unless you want to circulate the water if you have alot dead spots where waste accumulate. Some fish like swimming against a current, others do not. Aerators aren't nessecary, but look nice in some tanks and can increase the O2 exchange.

I just noticed you plan on gouramis. In that case, very little surface agitation should happen. If you do add a powerhead, make sure its not to powerful. You might also want to add some floating plants for their bubble-nests.

dr_girlfriend said:
That filter is fine for 46 gallons. Unless you have some seriously messy fish like Oscars or any other large fish, that should be sufficient.
Just to add to my original post since the species of fish is an issue, I'm planning on Gouramis as the main fish for this tank. I may end up with some Cories and/or one Pleco (probably a Bristlenose if I can find one). I was also considering a RedTailed Shark, but I think I'll probably pass on that one. I want fish that are easy to care for since this will be my first tank. :)

- Mandy

Yeah, I would pass on the shark too. Otherwise, I think youre stock looks pretty good! Cories and gouramis is what I have in a 10 gallon right now, and its a good mix. Its fun to watch the cories shoal and scurry all around the tank. I think I'd get the cories (just my personal preference) instead of the pleco. Plecos get real big and produce alot of waste themselves. (plus theyre kind of ugly :) )
And for your original question, I still think the aquaclear should still be fine. Good luck and keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom