Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-06-2004, 11:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Coarse foam as a prefilter then a layer of poly fiber floss and another block of a finer foam (tiny holes) if you can find it. This last layer of foam shouldnt get to dirty but will hold lots of bacteria.
Floss is the greatest. Great mechanical filtering. Because it does trap smaller particles than foam it will clog faster. I squeeze mine out every week during water changes.
Try giving the impeller and housing a good cleaning. If that doesnt quiet it down then try a new impeller.

Old 08-08-2004, 01:36 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

You're right, you do need something to hold the stack down. After experimenting a little, I devised a "holder." Heres how to make it:

You will need:

1 - 1/4-20 Nylon Threaded Rod

2 - 1/4-20 Rod Coupling Nuts

2 - Comfort Grip Crochet Hook Covers

Cut the Nylon Threaded Rod into a piece the *just* barely doesn't fit diagonally from one corner of the Aquaclear filter chamber to the other. Now cut the piece in two off center, there should be a little piece and a big piece. Screw one piece halfway into one end of a Rod Coupling Nut, then the other piece into the other end. Pick out the two large Crochet Hook Covers from the pack, and insert each hook cover on each end of the Threaded Rod / Coupling Nut assembly. The resulting piece should look like this:

Make another one just like this. Insert them on top of your Aquaclear Media stack to form a "X." Now, on each of these assemblies, you can turn one end and tighten it! The Nylon Rod is also a little flexible so it will bend instead of your Aquaclear warping. The Crochet Hook Covers hold the Rods in place.

You can if you want put a little adhesive on one end of each of the assemblies and screw the adhesive end only a little bit into the Coupling Nut. Let dry before using, and this will give you more "tightening" length and make it easier to turn and tighten.

Here's my custom Aquaclear 300 Stack, from bottom to top:

1) About 1/2 cup Eheim Ehfimech, enough to make it about 2 "rings" deep.

2) Aquaclear 300 foam.

3) 1-1/3 cups Eheim Ehfisubstrat Pro in a 6x10 800 micron bag.

4) 1-1/3 cups Seachem Purigen in Seachem's The Bag.

5) The Threaded Rod assemblies holding it down.

In addition to this, I wrap a Fluval 104 Foam Block around the intake of the Aquaclear 300. I hold it in place with two rubber bands. This works as a great prefilter. Clean it every day, and it will keep the flow rate up and the dirt accumulation rate down inside the Aquaclear. It also is a safety measure for a fish getting stuck in the Aquaclear's intake suction.

This all sounds extremely complicated, however it really isn't. Once you put it together, it is surprisingly simple. Seachem Purigen is really an amazing thing to behold. This will make your tank look like there's no water in it and the fish are floating. It also lasts a lot longer than carbon, and doesn't absorb trace elements like carbon does.

Old 08-08-2004, 09:33 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to degbowl
Wow! Thanks for all the info. It sounded complicated, but you gave me links for everything I need. I will have to try it. I really appreciate all your time and info. I assume you are putting the rings in a bag or is that not necessary?
Old 08-08-2004, 02:55 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Though it's not really necessary (I really only rely on my filters for mechanical filtration), this "biomedia" looks interesting, and comes sized for AC mini/150/200:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...&N=2004+113069
Old 08-09-2004, 05:58 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't put the rings in a bag, I just dump them into a strainer and rinse when I clean the filter.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:42 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to degbowl
Medusa Head I have been busy, but I just ordered all the items I needed from the links you gave me. I am going to try it on two aqauclear 300 filters. If I run into any problems I will ask your advice again. Thanks!
Jim

Tags
aquaclear, clear, filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com