Aquaclear 300; "Real" capacity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teamgs

Aquarium Advice Regular
Greetings,
I had been using an Aquaclear 300 (Old model, rated for 100 gal tanks, 300 gph) in the past with my 90 gal tall freshwater tank. With the 100 lbs of gravel, and the 100 lbs or so of rock, I estimate the actual water volume at more like 75 gal. I am restarting the aquarium, and was going to continue using the 300, but have been seeing numerous posts recommending larger filters, as if the units are overrated, regarding their capacities. In the past, I was using this unit with an UGF, and two powerheads, and never had any water clarity issues, but won't be using the UGF this time around.
Are the recommendations to oversize or double up on the Aquaclears, simply to be safe, or are they really lower performance than advertised?

Regards,

Gary

I've been around a little while and I don't ever recall seeing anything negative about the AquaClear filters, no matter the size. I happen to be using one on my 30 gal tank.

Perhaps what you've seen is recommendations for canister filters for your size tank, or that members have "doubled up" their HOB's. This is more for overfiltration than actual need.

I'd recommend using a canister beacuse of the size of the tank. You can use hob's, but with canisters they are more flexible and are hidden.

I just ordered another 300, so that I can purchase one size media for both. I will be using sponge, floss, sponge, then bio-max.

Thanks for the help,

Gary

I just want to comment on the AquaClears. Very solid filters. I've never had an issue with mine. You'll be happy with dual 300's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom