Aquaclear 50

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait54

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just wanted to know if 2 aquaclear 50s would be ok to run on a 55g stocked with small fish mostly neons glo fish and cories

Aquaclears are great filters..IMO.
I over filter my cichlid tanks so I can't really see the harm in extra filtration.

I just don't wanna put 2 50s and have to clean them alot any 1 have any experience keeping these in a 55g?

I would do the 2 70's. I have one one 36 and it works great. I also had one on a 46 bf but want to happy I added a 110. Depending on your fish you will want to do weekly filter maintenance.

Since you're looking at a relatively lightly stocked tank I'd use a 70 and an air-driven hydrosponge filter.

That will work. I have a 55 with 3 fantail goldfish, 3 mollies, and 5 cories running a AC 70 and a sponge filter.
I think two AC 50s would work very well also.

I run 3 aquaclear 50s on my 20 gallon long and clean filters weekly...they are dirty when I do.

AquaClear 50

Good morning Shark...

Good question. Have used Aquaclear filters for years in my tanks, but I've found the smaller filters, 50s and below run much quieter. I've used 70s, but they vibrate too much, they're noisey.

If you're willing to change a minimum of half the tank water weekly, you could use a single AquaClear 70, placed toward the center of the tank. If you flush a lot of clean water through your tank regularly, you don't need a lot of filtration, because the filter is only filtering water that's already clean.

I do large, 50 percent +, weekly water changes and use a single AquaClear 50 in my 55 G tanks, just for gas exchange to get oxygen into the tank, not specifically for filtration, but that works for me.

Above everything else, have fun!

B

I have a variety of ACs and find no difference in the noise or vibration between models. If they are running properly there is no vibration and no noise. With ACs up to the 70 you can double up the sponges and still have a bag of the bio rings. A 70 with 2 sponges will be more than sufficient for that tank. To me one of the advantages of the AC is you can clean it without turning it off, and they should be cleaned regularly, like any filter.

black hills tj said:
I'd run to AC70s. I don't know if you'll have much waterflow with just a single AC70 on a 55g. I run a single ac70 on a 29g tank.

Ya I'll probably do this just to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom