Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-13-2014, 12:28 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
I had similar flow issues with an AC20 and an AC30. Both had the Fluval Edge sponges over the intakes. Removing the sponges solved the flow issues. I also serviced the impellers at the same time, but I noticed that my sponges were hourglass shaped at the end. They clogged up in about 6 weeks to the point of seriously reducing the filter flow. I'm glad to hear the tip about boiling them to clean them out. I'll try that when i replace the sponges, the intakes are running naked at the moment.

jglover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:00 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
Yup. the little Edge pre filters can clog seriously, and just the little rinse out in old bucket water wont work.

My 12G Edge tank was at trickle, so I rinsed and it seemed fine, then I gave it a solid squeeze and it was brownish and it continued for minutes of rinsing in the tub faucet, I couldn't believe how much crap came out and kept coming out.

Every 2 weeks I rinse it, but never blast it with water straight out of the tap, but wow did it ever need a big cleaning. Water was blasting out of there after it was put back on!!!

Today I bought a few new prefilter sponges on clearance at Petco. And the weird chimney brush looking thing as well for the tubes.

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:38 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
You can get a 3 pack of those Edge prefilters on Amazon practically for free. I figure when it's too far gone that it won't rinse clean anymore, why go through the effort? Just pop a new one on.

RightTurnClyde is offline   Reply With Quote

aquac, aquaclear, aquaclear 50, clear, flow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com