AquaClear 50. Need urgent help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mar23

Aquarium Advice Freak
I don't know what happened to my brand new filter. I have two AC 50 HOB filters on my 60 gallon tank. I have them plugged into a power strip. I turned the power strip off to do a water change, changed the water, refilled the tank, and when I switched the power back on, one of the filters did not start. I always have to pour water into them to jump start them, but this time it just didn't even start. The filter is 1 week old and I'm leaving on vacation in two days. Is this fixable? Is the motor burned? If I did something wrong, I need to know how to avoid this next time. Please, help. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hello Mar23,
I have a Fluval C4 that is the update to the ACs , It is only a couple of months old but it has done the same thing twice after water changes . I just take out the lift tube and use a bamboo skewer or something similar and nudge the impeller and it takes off and runs fine. Try it and see if it works . I guess I should have returned it , but I got it online and didn't bother . It has a year warranty so if it keeps it up I will send it back .

It WORKED!!! You guys are awesome! Thank you!
Edit: To keep this from happening again, can I leave the filters running during water changes as long as the water level doesn't go below the intake (tip of the tube)?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Glad it worked . I wouldn't leave them running because they will lose the prime even if you don't go below the end of the tube . I am going to email Fluval right now and see if I can get an answer to this problem . Will let you know if I find out anything.

I actually had this happen on a brand new Aquaclear one time. Just mysteriously stopped and never could get it working. Think it was defective from the store. It lasted 1 day and stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just clean the filter at least one every 2 weeks, so you can rotate clean them.

Clean them with a complete disassembly.

Back
Top Bottom