Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coryluv View Post
No problem. Someday I'm going to get a black one, but in the meantime it works.
Thank you! I've discovered that without the lid that its VERY quiet, but I can hear the motor hum from a distance.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

So, I'd still like to know what noise is normal for this kind of filter. The main noise I'm having now is a low humming noise, not a buzzing/rattling noise.

Thanks

Old 07-08-2013, 10:59 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt_o View Post
So, I'd still like to know what noise is normal for this kind of filter.

Thanks
I guess the noise is in the ears of the listener. Without actually hearing your filter I can't tell for sure. I have owned 2 AC 50s and a 30. They all have a low hum. I can't hear it across the room, but maybe I'm old and my ears are getting bad. Maybe I just tune out white noise. There are many ambient sounds in the house that are way louder. These include the a/c or furnace and associated fan, the ceiling fan, the sump pump, and the refrigerator.

I did figure out something about the rubberband and the lid. Even with a lid that doesn't rattle, there is some resonance. I think the rubberband dampens that resonance. For some reason this AC 50 I have now just came with a rattling lid. But when I listened to it again with the rubberband off, there is still some resonance beyond any rattle. For me, rubberbanding it just works.

Bottom line, anything with moving parts is going to make noise. If you can hear your filter over the TV, or the other things I've already mentioned, maybe you really did just get an unusually noisy one. If so, you will probably do better working with the retailer rather than Hagen, but certainly, an overly noisy unit is not acceptable.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:40 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

I guess the noise is in the ears of the listener. Without actually hearing your filter I can't tell for sure. I have owned 2 AC 50s and a 30. They all have a low hum. I can't hear it across the room, but maybe I'm old and my ears are getting bad. Maybe I just tune out white noise. There are many ambient sounds in the house that are way louder. These include the a/c or furnace and associated fan, the ceiling fan, the sump pump, and the refrigerator.

I did figure out something about the rubberband and the lid. Even with a lid that doesn't rattle, there is some resonance. I think the rubberband dampens that resonance. For some reason this AC 50 I have now just came with a rattling lid. But when I listened to it again with the rubberband off, there is still some resonance beyond any rattle. For me, rubberbanding it just works.

Bottom line, anything with moving parts is going to make noise. If you can hear your filter over the TV, or the other things I've already mentioned, maybe you really did just get an unusually noisy one. If so, you will probably do better working with the retailer rather than Hagen, but certainly, an overly noisy unit is not acceptable.
I think I do have acute hearing and I guess I'll get used to it. The aquarium is in my bed room which is very quite, but if I'm on my computer playing a game or something with the volume up a little I can't hear it. It sounds normal to me, but what confused me is that I've heard so many people on the Internet say that their ACs are completely silent. This is my first "real" aquarium set up and I'm not familiar with this kind of filter. All I've had for years is a 5 gallon kit with a completely silent cartridge filter that fits under the hood.

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You are welcome. Happy to help. Yeah, completely silent is relative. Compared to an air pump an AC is completely silent. They are quiet, but to say they are silent is a stretch. You are the not the first person with a AC on a bedroom tank to notice noise, btw. I'll soon find out because I'm setting up my 10 gal QT with the AC 30 in my bedroom tomorrow.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:38 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
You are welcome. Happy to help. Yeah, completely silent is relative. Compared to an air pump an AC is completely silent. They are quiet, but to say they are silent is a stretch. You are the not the first person with a AC on a bedroom tank to notice noise, btw. I'll soon find out because I'm setting up my 10 gal QT with the AC 30 in my bedroom tomorrow.
Ok, thanks! And let me know how your new setup turns out tomorrow!
Old 07-10-2013, 12:13 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't mean to bug anyone with all these questions but one noise I still have but don't really mind is that airy noise I mentioned. It just kinda sounds like air flow or something. It's only noticeable with the lid on though :/
Old 07-10-2013, 12:30 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Has to be. The sounds bounces off from the water and the lid, then on out into the open and to our ears. Haha

When I started fish keeping. I had no idea that ac existed. As I stumbled upon it at pet smart, I knew there and then that this jewel is the perfect filter. Lol it is a quiet filter. Humms from the motor and sounds with the lid on is regular.
i want more!
Athaocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athaocity View Post
Has to be. The sounds bounces off from the water and the lid, then on out into the open and to our ears. Haha

When I started fish keeping. I had no idea that ac existed. As I stumbled upon it at pet smart, I knew there and then that this jewel is the perfect filter. Lol it is a quiet filter. Humms from the motor and sounds with the lid on is regular.
Thank you! This is first real set up and I'm asking a lot of questions.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The good news about your questions is that you are probably not the only one with them. To call an Aquaclear filter relatively quiet is accurate. To call it silent is not. Nothing with moving parts iike this is totally silent. The resonance from the lid does amplify the very low hum of the motor. I'm not sure there are any HOB filters out there that are any quieter, though. You'll be pleased to know I set up my QT in the bedroom yesterday and I slept right though the quiet hum of the AC 30.

Tags
aquaclear, noise

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com