Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

AquaClear 50 noise

I recently purchased a 20 gallon tall aquarium w/ full hood for $40 @ PetSmart. I decided on an AquaClear 50 power filter because I've heard that these are the best filters of their kind. I set it up, primed it, and plugged it in and it immediately started making a loud rattling noise. I did some Googling and found that I should lubricate the impeller shaft with Vasellinse. I lubricated it and that fixed the rattling problem. Now my question is what kind of noise is it supposed to normally make? It's quiet enough right now but I've heard many people say that they are completly silent except for the waterfall sound. All I can hear is a soft kind of airy sound, and sometimes the very soft hum of the motor. I hear it even when I'm across the room. The sound isn't really a problem to me but I'd like to know if that kind of sound is normal. If needed I can upload a video of it.

Any help is appriceated!

-Wyatt

Old 07-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mine do the humming and the noise in get is from the lid an the bit sticking out to adjust water flow touching the lid. But it is all occasional.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefdiver View Post
Mine do the humming and the noise in get is from the lid an the bit sticking out to adjust water flow touching the lid. But it is all occasional.
The lid does amplify the sound a bit. But it's not a vibrating sound, the best way I can describe it is as airy. It sounds normal to me but what makes me wonder is that so many people on the Internet say it's silent except for the waterfall sound.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I love my ACs, but the two I have have never been silent.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by okapizebra View Post
I love my ACs, but the two I have have never been silent.
I like mine too, it was a good price, is keeping the aquarium crystal clear, and I like the adjustable flow rate. What kind of sound do your ACs make?
Old 07-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also, it's making kind of a low fluxing humming noise that is annoying at night or when it is quiet.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mine had a rattling lid. That is easy to determine, just hold the lid down and if the sound stops, its the lid. I use a big rubberband to hold the lid firm. I probably don't need it any more since the lid is now "trained" to hold in place, but I still use it just so as not to be bothered.

My motor has a very low humming sound but I literally have to have my ear next to it to hear it. It is virtually silent.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coryluv View Post
Mine had a rattling lid. That is easy to determine, just hold the lid down and if the sound stops, its the lid. I use a big rubberband to hold the lid firm. I probably don't need it any more since the lid is now "trained" to hold in place, but I still use it just so as not to be bothered.

My motor has a very low humming sound but I literally have to have my ear next to it to hear it. It is virtually silent.
Thanks, I tried holding the lid and it didn't make much difference. The sound I'm hearing isn't a rattling noise, it sounds kinda airy, that's the best way I can describe it. But when I took the lid off the airy sound almost completely stopped. I'll try tieing a rubber band and see if that helps. The motor hum I can hear a from a few steps away, probably because my room is always silent.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

One more thing CoryLuv, in what way should I tie a rubber band around the lid? A picture would be helpful.

Thanks
Old 07-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No problem. Someday I'm going to get a black one, but in the meantime it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	184989  

Tags
aquaclear, noise

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com