AquaClear 50 noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AC-X2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently purchased a 20 gallon tall aquarium w/ full hood for $40 @ PetSmart. I decided on an AquaClear 50 power filter because I've heard that these are the best filters of their kind. I set it up, primed it, and plugged it in and it immediately started making a loud rattling noise. I did some Googling and found that I should lubricate the impeller shaft with Vasellinse. I lubricated it and that fixed the rattling problem. Now my question is what kind of noise is it supposed to normally make? It's quiet enough right now but I've heard many people say that they are completly silent except for the waterfall sound. All I can hear is a soft kind of airy sound, and sometimes the very soft hum of the motor. I hear it even when I'm across the room. The sound isn't really a problem to me but I'd like to know if that kind of sound is normal. If needed I can upload a video of it.

Any help is appriceated!

-Wyatt

Mine do the humming and the noise in get is from the lid an the bit sticking out to adjust water flow touching the lid. But it is all occasional.

Mine do the humming and the noise in get is from the lid an the bit sticking out to adjust water flow touching the lid. But it is all occasional.
The lid does amplify the sound a bit. But it's not a vibrating sound, the best way I can describe it is as airy. It sounds normal to me but what makes me wonder is that so many people on the Internet say it's silent except for the waterfall sound.

I love my ACs, but the two I have have never been silent.

I like mine too, it was a good price, is keeping the aquarium crystal clear, and I like the adjustable flow rate. What kind of sound do your ACs make?

Also, it's making kind of a low fluxing humming noise that is annoying at night or when it is quiet.

Mine had a rattling lid. That is easy to determine, just hold the lid down and if the sound stops, its the lid. I use a big rubberband to hold the lid firm. I probably don't need it any more since the lid is now "trained" to hold in place, but I still use it just so as not to be bothered.

My motor has a very low humming sound but I literally have to have my ear next to it to hear it. It is virtually silent.

Mine had a rattling lid. That is easy to determine, just hold the lid down and if the sound stops, its the lid. I use a big rubberband to hold the lid firm. I probably don't need it any more since the lid is now "trained" to hold in place, but I still use it just so as not to be bothered.

My motor has a very low humming sound but I literally have to have my ear next to it to hear it. It is virtually silent.

Thanks, I tried holding the lid and it didn't make much difference. The sound I'm hearing isn't a rattling noise, it sounds kinda airy, that's the best way I can describe it. But when I took the lid off the airy sound almost completely stopped. I'll try tieing a rubber band and see if that helps. The motor hum I can hear a from a few steps away, probably because my room is always silent.

One more thing CoryLuv, in what way should I tie a rubber band around the lid? A picture would be helpful.

Thanks

No problem. Someday I'm going to get a black one, but in the meantime it works.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 87
No problem. Someday I'm going to get a black one, but in the meantime it works.

Thank you! I've discovered that without the lid that its VERY quiet, but I can hear the motor hum from a distance.

So, I'd still like to know what noise is normal for this kind of filter. The main noise I'm having now is a low humming noise, not a buzzing/rattling noise.

Thanks

So, I'd still like to know what noise is normal for this kind of filter.

Thanks

I guess the noise is in the ears of the listener. Without actually hearing your filter I can't tell for sure. I have owned 2 AC 50s and a 30. They all have a low hum. I can't hear it across the room, but maybe I'm old and my ears are getting bad. Maybe I just tune out white noise. There are many ambient sounds in the house that are way louder. These include the a/c or furnace and associated fan, the ceiling fan, the sump pump, and the refrigerator.

I did figure out something about the rubberband and the lid. Even with a lid that doesn't rattle, there is some resonance. I think the rubberband dampens that resonance. For some reason this AC 50 I have now just came with a rattling lid. But when I listened to it again with the rubberband off, there is still some resonance beyond any rattle. For me, rubberbanding it just works.

Bottom line, anything with moving parts is going to make noise. If you can hear your filter over the TV, or the other things I've already mentioned, maybe you really did just get an unusually noisy one. If so, you will probably do better working with the retailer rather than Hagen, but certainly, an overly noisy unit is not acceptable.

Last edited:
I guess the noise is in the ears of the listener. Without actually hearing your filter I can't tell for sure. I have owned 2 AC 50s and a 30. They all have a low hum. I can't hear it across the room, but maybe I'm old and my ears are getting bad. Maybe I just tune out white noise. There are many ambient sounds in the house that are way louder. These include the a/c or furnace and associated fan, the ceiling fan, the sump pump, and the refrigerator.

I did figure out something about the rubberband and the lid. Even with a lid that doesn't rattle, there is some resonance. I think the rubberband dampens that resonance. For some reason this AC 50 I have now just came with a rattling lid. But when I listened to it again with the rubberband off, there is still some resonance beyond any rattle. For me, rubberbanding it just works.

Bottom line, anything with moving parts is going to make noise. If you can hear your filter over the TV, or the other things I've already mentioned, maybe you really did just get an unusually noisy one. If so, you will probably do better working with the retailer rather than Hagen, but certainly, an overly noisy unit is not acceptable.

I think I do have acute hearing and I guess I'll get used to it. The aquarium is in my bed room which is very quite, but if I'm on my computer playing a game or something with the volume up a little I can't hear it. It sounds normal to me, but what confused me is that I've heard so many people on the Internet say that their ACs are completely silent. This is my first "real" aquarium set up and I'm not familiar with this kind of filter. All I've had for years is a 5 gallon kit with a completely silent cartridge filter that fits under the hood.

Thanks for your help!

You are welcome. Happy to help. Yeah, completely silent is relative. Compared to an air pump an AC is completely silent. They are quiet, but to say they are silent is a stretch. You are the not the first person with a AC on a bedroom tank to notice noise, btw. I'll soon find out because I'm setting up my 10 gal QT with the AC 30 in my bedroom tomorrow.

You are welcome. Happy to help. Yeah, completely silent is relative. Compared to an air pump an AC is completely silent. They are quiet, but to say they are silent is a stretch. You are the not the first person with a AC on a bedroom tank to notice noise, btw. I'll soon find out because I'm setting up my 10 gal QT with the AC 30 in my bedroom tomorrow.

Ok, thanks! And let me know how your new setup turns out tomorrow!

I don't mean to bug anyone with all these questions but one noise I still have but don't really mind is that airy noise I mentioned. It just kinda sounds like air flow or something. It's only noticeable with the lid on though :/

Has to be. The sounds bounces off from the water and the lid, then on out into the open and to our ears. Haha

When I started fish keeping. I had no idea that ac existed. As I stumbled upon it at pet smart, I knew there and then that this jewel is the perfect filter. Lol it is a quiet filter. Humms from the motor and sounds with the lid on is regular.

Has to be. The sounds bounces off from the water and the lid, then on out into the open and to our ears. Haha

When I started fish keeping. I had no idea that ac existed. As I stumbled upon it at pet smart, I knew there and then that this jewel is the perfect filter. Lol it is a quiet filter. Humms from the motor and sounds with the lid on is regular.

Thank you! This is first real set up and I'm asking a lot of questions.

The good news about your questions is that you are probably not the only one with them. To call an Aquaclear filter relatively quiet is accurate. To call it silent is not. Nothing with moving parts iike this is totally silent. The resonance from the lid does amplify the very low hum of the motor. I'm not sure there are any HOB filters out there that are any quieter, though. You'll be pleased to know I set up my QT in the bedroom yesterday and I slept right though the quiet hum of the AC 30.

Back
Top Bottom