Aquaclear 50 or Whisper 60? Also light problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cornstar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Recently I bought a 50 gallon tank, and it came with a whisper 60 dual power filter. I still have an aquaclear 50 from my previous 36 gallon tank but I was wondering which filter is better. If anyone ever had experiences with these filters and can recommend it, that will be great.

Also on side note, I have these two light hoods with a problem. Sometimes in order to get the light to turn on, I would need to rotate the bulb a bit otherwise it will not turn on. I believe they are the aqueon fluorescent light hoods (22inch). Would it be a better idea to get them fixed or just replace them since it may take 1-5 minutes to get the light to properly work sometimes.

I'd run the both....The Aquaclear 50 has a pretty open media concept, you can fill it full of pretty much anything, while(From what i remember) the Whisper 60 uses Cartridges that can only be replaced with other Whisper 60 cartridges....

WHAT I WOULD DO:

With a Aquaclear, i would use one sponges and 2 BioMedia sacks
With Whisper, Stock Carbon Cartridge

This should give you the best of both worlds, a large bio area for you Nitrofying bacteria, and the ability to change a carbon bag weekly without disturbing that bacteria

Thanks for the advice, I would love to keep two since what you mentioned above sounds like a terrific idea in the long run. But I am selling my older tank and I already mentioned to the buyer that I will give a filter suitable for the tank. So basically I need to narrow down which filter I would rather keep.

I would keep the 60. I've been using it on my 46 and it does a great job. You can also purchase the foam inserts and frames (whisper 60) for biological filtering as well. I test my water quality weekly, have a pretty full house, and have had zero water quality issues.

Back
Top Bottom