AquaClear 50 Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Priest

Aquarium Advice Regular
When I bought a 30 gallon tank from my cousin, he also gave me an AquaClear 50. The problem is that he didn't give it to me with any media so I have to buy it but they are four different things for this filter and can only accept 3 things. This filter has the Ammonia Remover which goes in the middle, the BioMax which goes on top, the Carbon which goes in the middle and the Foam which goes on the bottom. Now as you can see they are two middles so I am confused on which one I should get or am I suppose to use two in the middle. Help me with this because I am confused and don't want to buy something tomorrow that I will not use. Thank you.

Priest said:
When I bought a 30 gallon tank from my cousin, he also gave me an AquaClear 50. The problem is that he didn't give it to me with any media so I have to buy it but they are four different things for this filter and can only accept 3 things. This filter has the Ammonia Remover which goes in the middle, the BioMax which goes on top, the Carbon which goes in the middle and the Foam which goes on the bottom. Now as you can see they are two middles so I am confused on which one I should get or am I suppose to use two in the middle. Help me with this because I am confused and don't want to buy something tomorrow that I will not use. Thank you.

Not familiar with that filter exactly but with most filters you can make your own media. If you want to buy it don't get the ammonia remover, that's what your beneficial bacteria are for. You definitely want the sponge and some form of bio media (stuff that makes a good home for BB (even though they live in the sponge anyway)). IMO carbon isn't needed, only to remove meds after use. When looking at media, I would recommend getting stuff that will last/not fall apart because you don't throw it out when it gets dirty. You just need to rinse it in tank water in a bucket during water changes.

Use one or two sponges and one Biomax. That is all you need. The sponges last for many years and the Biomax pretty much for ever.

So I don't use the ammonia remover or the carbon remover, I understand not using the ammonia but what about the carbon. I am using a second filter (Aqueon Quiet Flow 20) and that is using a carbon filter, so I shouldn't use it on that filter as well?

Priest said:
So I don't use the ammonia remover or the carbon remover, I understand not using the ammonia but what about the carbon. I am using a second filter (Aqueon Quiet Flow 20) and that is using a carbon filter, so I shouldn't use it on that filter as well?

It really is a personal choice with the carbon. Some say you don't need it (like me) others say it's a must. Some believe it soaks up all the chemicals then, when it reaches the end of it's use, can release them back into the tank. Others believe it becomes inert and then becomes bio media. But one thing that is agreed on is it has a life span of about a month or so. After that it's useless.

Mumma.of.two said:
It really is a personal choice with the carbon. Some say you don't need it (like me) others say it's a must. Some believe it soaks up all the chemicals then, when it reaches the end of it's use, can release them back into the tank. Others believe it becomes inert and then becomes bio media. But one thing that is agreed on is it has a life span of about a month or so. After that it's useless.

I think carbon is really only necessary if you're trying to get rid of meds, and once you do, just take it out.

According to what I read about the filter, you only need the one he gave you, What I would do is get bio max, the sponges, and a polish pad (is like a fiber), run but filters for about a month and after that just keep the aquaclear. In my opinion if your tank is cycled you don't need to use any carbon, carbon is used only to remove meds or smells and after a week, week an half the carbon becomes inactive.
But that's just what I would do, but if you think you really need carbon, you should use it. In my experience, when you think that something is not right, is better to go with your gut .

The biomax and sponges will perform your mechanical and biological filtration, while the polish pad will remove small particles. and if you ever have to dose your aquarium with something you can always remove the polish pad and use carbon instead.

I agree with previous posts. I would use a sponge or two and the biomax. The only time you really need carbon is when you're removing meds or other chemicals. carbon only lasts a few weeks anyways.

I have an AquaClear sponge, a sponge and half of a filter pad from an old filter, and biomax running in my AquaClear filter.

Back
Top Bottom