Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-23-2012, 11:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyBusiness
AC's are great HOB canisters. I run a 50 on my 20g and 110 on my 90g. You don't need to replace the pad unless it's falling apart. That could take years... Don't waste your money. Just rinse your pad in old tank water (dechlorinated) real well at water changes and put back in. I don't use carbon often anyway. I'll use it every few months for a month. Keeping carbon in for too long can release chems into the tank (from what I hear). Like others stated, keep your old filter in with the new for about a month. What size was your old tank? If you have the same fish stock your BB will keep up so add new fish slowly so it has time to adjust.
It's the same exact tank... Same fish. 29g... I just needed a new filter.. Old filter was an old hand me down off of craigslist ... "Regent 30g" and was getting old and loud... Besides... Good excuse to get something new AND I wanted a great filter capable of handling the 40g i want in the future.

My current stock is:

-- 2 adult mollies
-- 1 adult Platy
-- 2 adult guppies
-- 1 juvy 1" Molly
-- 1 juvy 1" Platy
-- 1 Oto
-- 4 Mickey Mouse Platy fry 1/4"

Old 08-24-2012, 04:07 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I didn't realize you were just getting a new filter lol, sorry. Your tank will be just fine. You wouldn't even have to run your old media in it too long. Maybe just a couple weeks. You'd have plenty of BB already in the rocks and decor too!

Old 08-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyBusiness
I didn't realize you were just getting a new filter lol, sorry. Your tank will be just fine. You wouldn't even have to run your old media in it too long. Maybe just a couple weeks. You'd have plenty of BB already in the rocks and decor too!
The rocks are vacuumed once a week and my big colosseum is full of green algae my Oto eats... My plastic plants were bleached 2 wks ago though.
I'd think there was quite a lot in the colosseum and in rocks.

Tags
aquaclear, aquaclear 70, clear, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com