Aquaclear 70 measurement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

royta

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm setting up a Marineland Euro 28g bowfront that my kids got as a hand me down. Anyway, it came with a Top Fin 30 filter which I know is too small. I'm not sure if the Aquaclear 50 is large enough, so I thought I'd err on the larger side and go with the Aquaclear 70. I need to know how far the Aquaclear 70 hangs over the top of the tank. I only have 2" from the inside of the plastic frame to the glass top, 2 3/8" from the inside of the glass wall to the glass top. I need to make sure the water fall part does not interfere with the glass top.

Thanks.

royta said:
I'm setting up a Marineland Euro 28g bowfront that my kids got as a hand me down. Anyway, it came with a Top Fin 30 filter which I know is too small. I'm not sure if the Aquaclear 50 is large enough, so I thought I'd err on the larger side and go with the Aquaclear 70. I need to know how far the Aquaclear 70 hangs over the top of the tank. I only have 2" from the inside of the plastic frame to the glass top, 2 3/8" from the inside of the glass wall to the glass top. I need to make sure the water fall part does not interfere with the glass top.

Thanks.

I not familiar with your tank, but you should be able to get the specs for the AC70 online.

Not sure what room you have, but did you consider keeping the top fin running and add say an AC50 too? I have the AC 50 & Fusion4 running on my 50g and they work great together. If I want to clean one, I have one running and if I need to setup a QT, I can move one and instantly have a cycled system.

Just a thought and Welcome Aboard!

I just bought a 70 as my Aquatech from Walmart gave up the ghost. You need 3.5 inches of clearance from the tank to the wall.

Is that measurement from the actual glass to the back of the filter tub? If so, then there should be exactly 2.5" from the back of the glass on the back of the aquarium to the of the filter hanging over on to the top of the tank. I might just have enough room for the filter without having to cut a section out of the glass top.

I have 2.5" from the inside of the back of the aquarium to the rear of the glass top. That is how much room I have for the waterfall section of the filter. I have about an inch from the front of the waterfall section of the Top Fin 30 to the rear of the glass top.

I actually found my old Supreme Aquamaster PME-A power filter. It is a siphon in pump out design. Maybe I'll just use that in tandem with the Top Fin 30. I could set it up with several layers of floss in the tub so that I could change them one at a time and still maintain the bacteria in the floss not changed out. Back in the day *wow, I just said that ;)*, I used to use an inch layer of floss, a layer of activated charcoal, and then an inch or so layer on top fo the charcoal. It worked rather well on my 10g tank at the time, but I have no idea what the gph is on this old filter. I know if you lose siphon, the filter will suck the tub dry real quick.

Attachments

• IMG_1453_800-600.jpg
    IMG_1453_800-600.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1456_800-600.jpg
    IMG_1456_800-600.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 119
You need 3.5 inches from the back of the tank to the wall.

You need 3.5 inches from the back of the tank to the wall.

Wayne, is it possible for you to measure from the back of your tank to where the waterfall section drops below the horizontal plane of the top of the tank? By looking at my pictures, do you think I would have the room?

royta said:
Is that measurement from the actual glass to the back of the filter tub? If so, then there should be exactly 2.5" from the back of the glass on the back of the aquarium to the of the filter hanging over on to the top of the tank. I might just have enough room for the filter without having to cut a section out of the glass top.

I have 2.5" from the inside of the back of the aquarium to the rear of the glass top. That is how much room I have for the waterfall section of the filter. I have about an inch from the front of the waterfall section of the Top Fin 30 to the rear of the glass top.

I actually found my old Supreme Aquamaster PME-A power filter. It is a siphon in pump out design. Maybe I'll just use that in tandem with the Top Fin 30. I could set it up with several layers of floss in the tub so that I could change them one at a time and still maintain the bacteria in the floss not changed out. Back in the day *wow, I just said that ;)*, I used to use an inch layer of floss, a layer of activated charcoal, and then an inch or so layer on top fo the charcoal. It worked rather well on my 10g tank at the time, but I have no idea what the gph is on this old filter. I know if you lose siphon, the filter will suck the tub dry real quick.

So that's a gap between the top built-in fixture and the top edge of the tanks back wall?

I can tell you that the AC50's head height is 1.5" (tank rim to top of lid). I gotta figure the AC70 has a bit more, maybe 2"? But you still need to fit it through the gap and I'm not sure how that would work with P/U tube and all.

You should google your old one, it's still around ;).

I will put a tape on it when I get home. I was going from the directions on the box. I have a 50 and a 70 on my 55 gal, and the 70 is almost twice the size. Gimme a couple hours and I certainly will measure it for you.

Thank you Wayne. Measurements for both the 50 and 70 would be great!!

I've done some searching for my old Supreme Aquamaster PM, but I haven't been successful at finding flowrates. Is there a rule of thumb for a gph to g ratio?
I thought I read that you wanted to cycle the water 4 to 5 times per hour.

The hinged glass top just rests on top of the tank. If I had my mind set on a 70, I could always have the glass cut to fit the 70.

you should be fine, you should be able to slide the filter back since the hang on part is slightly larger and has some play

Deckape said:
I will put a tape on it when I get home. I was going from the directions on the box. I have a 50 and a 70 on my 55 gal, and the 70 is almost twice the size. Gimme a couple hours and I certainly will measure it for you.

From the back of the tank to the back of the filter is 3.75 inches. From the back of the filter to the waterfall is 6 inches. Looks too big for the clearance between the tank and your wall.

Deckape said:
From the back of the tank to the back of the filter is 3.75 inches. From the back of the filter to the waterfall is 6 inches. Looks too big for the clearance between the tank and your wall.

That's for the 70

The 50's measurements are 2.5 inches from the back of the tank to the back of the filter. From the back of the filter to the waterfall is 4 inches....Hope that helped.

I just reread what you asked me to measure. That would be 2.25 inches from the back of my tank to where the waterfall ends. That's for the 70.

Back
Top Bottom