Aquaclear Filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eykis9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Central IL - just 15 miles east of St. Louis, MO
I'm finally setting up my 20 gal high planted tank and am going to use an Aquaclear filter. For those that use or have used Aquaclears filters, do you think the Aquaclear 200 (supposed to be good for up to 40gals) is really sufficient for me or should I go with the 300 (aquariums up to 65 gallons)?

thanks!

:D

You really don't need that much filtration. In a planted tank you could actually get away with a 150, since the plants do some filtering. I would say the 200 would be the max, more then sufficient. Watch you ammonia levels and Nitirates too, a new tank(I am sure you know) needs time to develop the biological filter. The AquaClear filters are slow going getting that filter established.

I use the 150 on my dad's aquarium and it does a great job. I guess it depends on the type of fish and just how many fish. But plants do help balance things. The problem with the AC's (and other HOB) is that they make a lot of current so the plants blow around a lot. Still they are sturdy and long lasting in my experience.

You will be able to turn down the flow rate quite a bit on the AC200, so hopefully it works well. But that price is excellent.

Aquaclear 200

Thats putting alot of current in a 20gallon. You might want to step down to a 150. I have a 200 AquaClear in a 26 gallon and it doesn't really slow down that much. I kinda wish I had gotten the 150... Just plant the plants on the far end. I hope you're not putting all those fish in an uncycled tank cause you'll probably loose a few. If you already have, I would keep changing a gallon or so every day or every other day. It will extend the cycle, but it also might keep more of the gang alive. Good luck, Betowess

The plants swishing around in the current isn't really a bad thing. What you need to be careful of is water surface turbulance, which will increase the release of CO2 to the atmosphere.

ok, after reading the advice i changed my order to 150 but i think i'm going to use 2 sponges and take out the carbon. right now i'm using an old bio-wheel 125 but unfortunately, it doesn't have the bio-wheel cartridge on it. i realize there really isn't any media for the bacteria to attach to so yes, i am watching my ammonia and nitrates and will to partial water changes as needed. the fish i currently have are 6 zebra danios and 3 juli corys, all are 1 to 1.5 inches each max. i haven't been able to any plants in yet because i only have 1 inch of eco-complete and am waiting for the second bag to get in. i should have left my fish in the 10 gal until i had the 20 gal setup right (stupid me, lol).... we do live and learn though!

thanks again everyone!

While you are waiting for the 150 to arrive you should go and buy another sponge for the 150 and place it in the biowheel 125. That way it will be building up bacteria on it and you can transfer it to the 150.

If you buy some floating plants you can add them right away and they will help keep the ammonia and nitrite levels much lower as they feed from the water column.

Removing the carbon is a fine idea. Save it for when you have to remove meds from the water in the future. And don't worry too much about turbulence affecting CO2 levels. Unless you are using added CO2, the tanks will just get to equilibrium with the atmosphere so the turbulence doesn't affect too much. If you add CO2 using a DIY setup or compressed CO2, then the turbulence will indeed make you loose most of your added CO2.

Culturing a sponge is a great idea, I don't think you have to worry about the CO2 either way as the AquaClear filters are pretty good about low surface turbulance.

tkos said:
While you are waiting for the 150 to arrive you should go and buy another sponge for the 150 and place it in the biowheel 125.

If you buy some floating plants you can add them right away and they will help keep the ammonia and nitrite levels much lower as they feed from the water column.

great advice, tkos.... don't know why i didn't think of that! it sure pays to get others input!

as for the co2, i'll be using the hagen system but am going to try hooking the outlet tubing to the uptake of my filter... i read that in post here before... i'll see how that works. otherwise, once my plants fill in i'll likely stop the co2 to slow the growth so i don't have to prune so much. at least thats my intention.

going to get a sponge and some floating plants!

Glad to help. Sometimes the easiest answer is the hardest one to think about. If you keep the water level high enough the 150 will not make too much disturbance.

Back
Top Bottom