Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-19-2011, 11:35 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Well, like I said, I cleaned it all out and put it back together. There were a couple of small stones or something in with the impeller shaft. How can I tell if it's filtering properly now, without pulling it off the tank and looking at the sponge again?

Thanks for all your help guys. 

Old 04-20-2011, 06:36 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

If the filter is working properly, you should see a steady flow returning to the tank, hear no noise other than maybe a hum, and see the tank getting clearer.

Feel free to PM me directly with questions.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #13

Ok... I've always seen a steady return to the tank. So, I'm not too sure of it's really working and filtering properly or what. Any thoughts?
Old 04-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

When was the last time you cleaned the filter? I usually clean my ACs about once a month.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #15

2 or 3 days ago
Old 04-21-2011, 08:56 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you've got the filter assembled correctly, the plumbing and media aren't gunked up, and you've got the flow adjustment set to the max, I'd say the filter is working. One of the benefits of the ACs is the huge media capacity. I've got two 8"+ catfish, some rams, some rainbows, rasboras, and a betta in a 40B with an AC110. The sponge has yet to get very dirty. I usually feel like I'm wasting my time when I clean it, but the filter keeps the tank spotless.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #17

Wow. That's crazy. This filter has had issues keeping the tank water clear. I'm not sure if it's due to the dirtiness of the filter or what. Do you have the ammonia rocks in your filter too or just the carbon and sponge? I was at the LFS yesterday and saw that there is a combo of carbon and ammonia filter. Any thoughts on that media?

And now the filter is going to have to work twice as hard... Mu daughter decided to feed the fish this am and dumped about 95% of the bottle into the tank. I got as much as I could with a PWC but it's still pretty cloudy. Any suggestions?
Old 04-23-2011, 02:36 AM   #18

I syphoned as much of the food up as I could, the did a 50% water change and the water is still murky. Do you guys have any suggestions?
Old 04-23-2011, 02:45 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBunny
I syphoned as much of the food up as I could, the did a 50% water change and the water is still murky. Do you guys have any suggestions?
Keep doing big PWC everyday till it's gone and 2x a day is ok too. I use poly-fil in my AC50 to polish my water and while I'm dealing with tannins from new DW, I change it out once a week or so filled with junk from the DW so maybe try that.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't really care for any ammonia reducing chemical filter media. My biofilter takes care of the ammonia. I run sponges and the ceramic biomedia, using carbon only when I want to remove medication or tannins from the water.

Try adding a second sponge to the filter. It's possible the original sponge may have broken down a bit and is allowing some stuff to slip through.

Tags
aquaclear, clear, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com