AquaClear filter issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't really care for any ammonia reducing chemical filter media. My biofilter takes care of the ammonia. I run sponges and the ceramic biomedia, using carbon only when I want to remove medication or tannins from the water.

Try adding a second sponge to the filter. It's possible the original sponge may have broken down a bit and is allowing some stuff to slip through.

Do you mean poly-fil? It's basically filter floss/polishing pad, but because it doesn't say Aquarium on it, I save the 250% mark up and it was 40% off (GOOB sale) so I saved even more :D.

Using 2 sponges with the same ppm capture rate, doesn't really do much since the first one has stopped all the detritus of that size. You need to run a finer sponge/media behind the first sponge in order to remove anything to finer. Poly-fil is the perfect answer to that filtration segment and it helps keep junk from clogging up the biomedia.

Nope, no poly-fil in any of my filters. The AC sponges keep the water crystal clear for me.

My thoughts were that RugbyBunny's original sponge may be crumbling and letting stuff slip through. If adding a second sponge clear up the water, my suspicions would be confirmed. If the first sponge is falling apart, run the two sponges in tandem for a month or so to prevent recycling, then toss the original sponge.

Woke up this am and the water in the tank was crystal clear. Only had to do is 2 water changes.

Hello friends. I don't know what's up with this tank but I've never had these issues with my other tank and filter. It's cloudy again. Any thoughts? I've attached a picture... Although it doesn't look cloudy in the picture.

Attachments

• image-3763201891.jpg
    image-3763201891.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 67
RugbyBunny said:
Hello friends. I don't know what's up with this tank but I've never had these issues with my other tank and filter. It's cloudy again. Any thoughts? I've attached a picture... Although it doesn't look cloudy in the picture.

How long was it clear? What, if anything was done to/with the tank between clearing up and cloudiness coming back?

Somewhere in there is the answer to your problem. IMO every tank has its own chemisrty and even food that may be fine in one tank can have an impact on another. It's going to be trial and error to figure it out and unless needed hold off on a PWC for 24-48hrs and see if it clears up.

Mr. Limpet said:
How long was it clear? What, if anything was done to/with the tank between clearing up and cloudiness coming back?

Somewhere in there is the answer to your problem. IMO every tank has its own chemisrty and even food that may be fine in one tank can have an impact on another. It's going to be trial and error to figure it out and unless needed hold off on a PWC for 24-48hrs and see if it clears up.

Nothing was done between it being clear and cloudy again. It was clear for probably 2 days after the PWC. Is it possible it's the shrimp pellets that the fish are being fed? I got a new heater too, but that was a day ago and it didn't affect anything, except my fish being happier now that the water is actually warm again.

RugbyBunny said:
Nothing was done between it being clear and cloudy again. It was clear for probably 2 days after the PWC. Is it possible it's the shrimp pellets that the fish are being fed? I got a new heater too, but that was a day ago and it didn't affect anything, except my fish being happier now that the water is actually warm again.

Heat definitely affects the bacteria IME and if you're talking about the frozen stuff, that could be something to keep an eye out for. Do you keep a log? Might want to for the short term and I'm guessing a pattern may emerge.

Back
Top Bottom