Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-01-2009, 11:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Aquaclear filter question

hi all

i just got an aquaclear mini from my grandpa, and i am not sure if it is working correctly. WHen i turn it on it seems like water is being filtered, but at the same time a good amount of the water is just flowing right over the top of the left compartment into the right compartment. The filter holder thing has like little loop cutouts and the water is flowing right through there and back into the tank.

I was wondering is this normal? or is the old unit my grandpa gave me broken?

Old 08-01-2009, 11:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman
does it have a clean filterpad? replace it with a new one, or wash it out with high pressure water. The filter is designed to overflow into the tank instead of onto the floor when the pads are plugged up.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:30 PM   #3

yea both the sponges are pretty much brand new.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That particular model is now the aquaclear 20. I have it on one of mt 10 gallon tanks. There are three different filters in it. A sponge, which should rest at the botton of the right chamber. A second/middle layer of activated carbon, and a third/top layer of white biomax "balls". Do you have all three filter layers? If not you can go to you LFS and buy the replacement cartidges for the model. It is a great system. You would have wanted to replace those parts of the filtration anyways. Also, you may want to replace your sponge filter if it wasn't used in a while. It may have grown some yucky stuff or not been stored in a safe way for your new setup. All the replacement parts are relatively inexpensive. Should not cost you more than $6-8.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman
can you get a picture of your problem? it could be the filter is really really not level, or you don't have your suction tube seated down all the way, or there is some other blockage inside the filter's reservoir.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:06 AM   #6

of course! as you can see in the picture the water level is very high for some reason.

Imageshack - img5494

I am currently running 2 sponges(1 is seeded with my friends gunk from his tank) and the ceramic rings in the filter. And for the most part my tank is level, and the tube thing that leads to the impeller is within that groove and is as snug as i can get it.

Also this problem persisted when i was running from the bottom to the top, foam, carbon, and ceramic rings.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:20 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well the sponge should be at the bottom, not the top.

But in general...the way it works should be that there is a tiny little side slit. You can see it if you look exactly on the side in good lighting as the plastic is greyish. That slit is the flow from the inlet to the bottom of the right chamber. The gray carriage for the filters should sit so that there isn't overflow, rather that the water flowing into the holes on the side and down through the sponge (which should be at the bottom of the stack).

The order should be top: biomax rings middle: activated carbon bottom: sponge.

The water should circulate through the sponge and carbon and back up and flow out. If you are seeing overflow, pull the carriage a teeny bit up to allow optimal flow through the chamber filters rather than over the top.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:21 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If i could find my camera i would take a picture of the instruction piece for you. I hope my description helps.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:25 AM   #9

a picture would help a great amount!
Old 08-02-2009, 12:37 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

i'm not sure if the older models allowed for it but you can also try reducing the flow by twisting the intake tube clockwise.

Tags
aquaclear, clear, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com