AquaClear Filter Queston for 29gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bhunsucker

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking at doing another aquarium setup for a 29gal. I would like to put a Aquaclear 110/500 on that tank. It is the same filter system that I'm using on my 55gal. The reason is so that I would only have to buy one size media for both filters. Is that Aquaclear going to be to much for the 29gal? Tropical Community fish will be kept in that tank.

Thanks

I use an AquaClear 200 and a Penguin 100 on my 29 gal goldie tank and it doesn't seem to be too much for them. I don't think the extra will hurt much, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the reply. I dont think the hood will be an issue. I will use a glass hood with a strip light so I can cut the back plastic the length I need. Should I run the filter at max or put it at the low end of the settings.

Is it the foam inserts that you're talking about? If so, I would save the cash and go for the Aquaclear 70 (300). I use it on my 29 gallon tank and haven't had any problems with it, and I don't think cost of filter media would be such a concern for you. You don't really have to replace the foam blocks until they start falling apart, you can just rinse them in tankwater (never tapwater) every so often when doing PWCs- I have some that I haven't replaced in almost 2 years. I'm sure the AC 110 would be fine, but it won't really help you any more than a smaller filter would, and some fish may prefer less current. JMO :D

severum mama, yes its the foam inserts as well as the other media. I figured it would just be easier to have one type of media for both tanks that way I wouldnt have to really worry about buying different types of media, I would only have one kind to buy. But like you stated my concern is the water flow current in the 29gal with the AC 500. I'm almost thinking that even if I turn it all the way down that its still going to be to strong for that size tank.

Well, the other media would either be carbon inserts or the BioMax (ceramic rings in a bag). The carbon isn't really necessary unless you are removing meds or something, and the BioMax shouldn't ever have to be replaced, as it is just basically more surface area for bacteria to colonize. The package tells you to replace the Biomax every 3 months or so, but I think they just do that to make you spend more money, because why would anyone throw away perfectly good bacteria, you know? :roll: I don't use any carbon in mine, I just use 2 foam blocks stacked on top of each other, with the BioMax on top of that. Works great!

As for the flow rate of the 110, I can't really comment as I have never used one larger than the 70, I just know that they are rated to 500 gph and that seems like overkill for the 29. I know the flow rate is adjustable, but I bet it is pretty strong even when it is turned down.

Thanks for the terrific link for AquaClear power filter tricks greenmagi.

I think it is a good idea to use the same filter type for more than one tank. Having interchangeable media is a real bonus when starting up a new tank - you can just borrow an insert from the matured filter.

I imagine that flow rate is more fish dependent than tank dependent - but I could be wrong :roll: Any other thoughts?

Flow rate is dependent on the media you use in your filter, and how much waste your fish produce(wich is dependent on how much you feed the fish).

Back
Top Bottom