Aquaclear Filter's Motor Malfunctioning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pomplamousse

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So, I have bought several 30 gallon Aquaclear filters in the past and many times after cleaning the motor, they stop working. Works completely fine before I clean it. :/
I also have another filter that started to screech one day. So, I cleaned the motor. But, it's still screeches.

How can I fix these problems?

How I clean it....
-every month
-remove repellers rinse with water
-clean insides with a Q-tip
-check for anything that may be stuck inside the motor with a flashlight
-carefully re-insert repellers
-test in water-> doesn't work
- re-insert in different ways ->still doesn't work

Thank you in advance!!

So, I have bought several 30 gallon Aquaclear filters in the past and many times after cleaning the motor, they stop working. Works completely fine before I clean it. :/
I also have another filter that started to screech one day. So, I cleaned the motor. But, it's still screeches.

How can I fix these problems?

How I clean it....
-every month
-remove repellers rinse with water
-clean insides with a Q-tip
-check for anything that may be stuck inside the motor with a flashlight
-carefully re-insert repellers
-test in water-> doesn't work
- re-insert in different ways ->still doesn't work

Thank you in advance!!

I'm really surprised that you're having issues, because I clean my AC50 out just like that and never have an issue. Sounds like you're being careful with the impeller post and that's the only thing I can think of that's a critical issue (bend that and the motor is shot).

Are you sure you have the motor reseated on the filter case properly? I find that at times it seems a little funky locking it back in its mount properly. Also make sure to refill the tub with tank water before you plug it back in, then add water as needed until it starts pumping water thru the intake pipe.

Hope you get it figured out, AC filters are the benchmark filters IMO.

Yes. I first test the motor in water before I re-insert and it still doesn't work. I'm pretty sure I put it back properly.

Could you recommend me a filter that is good but cost effective?

Btw, thanks for responding. :)

Have you tried, once you've cleaned it, putting it back together, filling it up, plugging it in, then using something to manually turn the impeller?

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by testing the motor before you put it back on your tank?

I can say that it's important not to run the motor without water, the impeller can get easily damaged if run more than a couple seconds when it's dry.

My best recommendation for HOB filters is the AC line. I can also recommend the Fusion line of HOB, but they're not distributed very widely right now. I have the Fusion 4 and it's on par with my AC50. I got it for field testing thru a LFS I frequent and in the 3 months I've had it, like my AC50 it's bullet proof.

Here's a link to the F4: Amazon.com: Fusion 4 Power Filter: Kitchen & Dining

Have you tried, once you've cleaned it, putting it back together, filling it up, plugging it in, then using something to manually turn the impeller?

I have done all of that except the manually turning the impeller part.
What do you mean by manually turning the impeller? How do you do that?

Some times the impeller can get stuck. If you plug it in, and then give the impeller a nudge using a pencil or something, it might start right back up. If there is a flat spot on the shaft or something small jamming it up, this can often remedy the problem.

Some times the impeller can get stuck. If you plug it in, and then give the impeller a nudge using a pencil or something, it might start right back up. If there is a flat spot on the shaft or something small jamming it up, this can often remedy the problem.

Unfortunately, still didn't work. :(
But, Thank you. :D

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by testing the motor before you put it back on your tank?

I can say that it's important not to run the motor without water, the impeller can get easily damaged if run more than a couple seconds when it's dry.

My best recommendation for HOB filters is the AC line. I can also recommend the Fusion line of HOB, but they're not distributed very widely right now. I have the Fusion 4 and it's on par with my AC50. I got it for field testing thru a LFS I frequent and in the 3 months I've had it, like my AC50 it's bullet proof.

Here's a link to the F4: Amazon.com: Fusion 4 Power Filter: Kitchen & Dining

Ah.. thank you very much! :D
I guess I'll stick with my AC then. :)

While it is possible the electrical part of the motor is damaged, this is rare. Have you removed and examined the shaft the impeller runs on? If it is worn it can cause the above problem. It is cheaper to replace than an impeller.

Yeah, I had to replace my impeller/shaft because it got scratched and the AC stopped working. Check it for damage.

While it is possible the electrical part of the motor is damaged, this is rare. Have you removed and examined the shaft the impeller runs on? If it is worn it can cause the above problem. It is cheaper to replace than an impeller.

No, I haven't. I think it looks fine. Is it obvious if it's worn?
Also, how do you replace it? & Where can you find it?

The shaft should be smooth. If it has scratches, ridges, etc. then it's damaged. You can try getting Hagen to replace it if it's new. Otherwise, I ordered my parts online, on Amazon (since sand damaged it, it would be considered my fault it was damaged).

The shaft should be smooth. If it has scratches, ridges, etc. then it's damaged. You can try getting Hagen to replace it if it's new. Otherwise, I ordered my parts online, on Amazon (since sand damaged it, it would be considered my fault it was damaged).

Ah, isee. Thank you very much.

Just wondering if anyone knows if a dirty impeller would cause the filter from cleaning the tank water properly. I use to have a top fin filter but got this aquaclear from a friend a while back. Seems to not be cleaning the water properly as the tank water is always dirty (and nitrate and ammonia levels up) even a day after a water change.

Back
Top Bottom