AquaClear issues lately, Made video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just called. Got the same thing. I'm going to assume there open since its saying to wait for the operator and the calls are answered in the a ordered they are received.

here is a video of my filter running, its pretty loud, it doesn't come across quite as loud in the video as it is when you are in the same room as it, but you can still tell it is pretty darn noisy.

also, I was on hold with hagen maybe 25 minutes, I have to run some errands, I will call them back when I get back, if I dont get an answer guess I will have to call back monday morning.

also this embeded video is doing some crazy things on my end, here is the youtube upload -

just got home right now, as apposed to getting quieter, it has gotten quite a bit louder, had no luck getting through to hagen today, will have to call them monday morning, and get used to having the sound of a paper shredder running non stop til I receive the part heh.

:confused:

Wow!!! That's LOUD!!! Man this is bugging me out! I NEVER thought it was gonna be that loud. Almost sounds like a bad bad vibration. Definitely call them. Send the video even. I bet you get a new one free shipped right to your door.

Big difference between yours and mine. Sorry you gotta go through that bro.

Oh and I subbed!! Sub me back :)

so I called hagen, I told them about my problem and I told them how highly recommended the filter came, and I told them just how loud it was and offered to send them the video of the sound it was making , they suggested I lube the shaft and reseat the impeller and all the standard malarky , when I informed them I tried all that several times, her reply was for me to send them my motor and they would send me a new one.

well that would be great if this wasn't my my aquarium filter that I am using and w/o it my fish will die,when I told her this her reply was "well, um, um, that stinks" then she suggested and I return it to the store for an exchange, I have called the store and they said they dont have anymore in stock and it will be a while before they get them back in.

she at this point basically told me I am screwed and she is sorry I am having so many problems with their product I forked over a fair ammount of cash for.

life time guarantee? really? I even asked about the impeller and she just said, sorry this is our policy.

so very very frustrated, and mad, I know these are supposed to be great filters, but I dont know , I really like the flow and how customizable it was, but where do I go from here after basically being told tough poo from the "customer service" and I use that term very very lightly.

Wow, I'm sorry to hear this, I called and within 4 days I had a new impeller in the mail. I'm very disappointed in there customer service.

Shoot me a PM, I'd like to help if I can. I'll call them and see if I can get further with them. If anything she should have realized that the filter is in use and can't be removed so... Send the new motor with a pre paid shipping label and you'll be happy to send it out.

I made her aware that it was in use on the tank and I didn't have a back up, that's when she suggested taking it back to the store, when I said that wasn't possible her reply was that I could buy a new motor and then I can send in mine and if they find something wrong with it they will credit me for the new motor, I laughed, so you want me to spend more money on more possibly defective equipment? And then MAYBE you will credit me back? I am pretty sure this lady was smoking crack ...

I am in the middle of a pwc and then I got some errands to run, when I get back I am going to call and ask for a manager, if that doesn't get me anywhere ill shoot you a pm and see what we can do together to get them to listen heh.

I made her aware that it was in use on the tank and I didn't have a back up, that's when she suggested taking it back to the store, when I said that wasn't possible her reply was that I could buy a new motor and then I can send in mine and if they find something wrong with it they will credit me for the new motor, I laughed, so you want me to spend more money on more possibly defective equipment? And then MAYBE you will credit me back? I am pretty sure this lady was smoking crack ...

I am in the middle of a pwc and then I got some errands to run, when I get back I am going to call and ask for a manager, if that doesn't get me anywhere ill shoot you a pm and see what we can do together to get them to listen heh.

Sounds good! Enjoy your day. Hopefully you'll have better luck with the manager.

So I called back got some one different, asked for manager, manager is out to lunch so I told this lady what my problem was and what the last lady said and she seemed genuinely shocked and is sending me out a new impeller tomorrow and said see if that fixes it then go from there.

Much better service 2nd time around, I do inbound customer service for one of the biggest cell phone companies and one that prides its self on good customer service, if I did what that lady did I would be fired so fast my head would spin like Linda Blair.

so today I got my new impeller, just popped it in, still not quiet, I am sitting about 10 feet from my tank, and I can hear the motor running over the sound of the water flowing into the tank, maybe this new impeller just needs a breaking in period, or maybe something else is the problem, not sure what it could be if not the impeller since it is the only moving part,

my only other guess is that it is something to do with the shaft that the impeller spins on, or the wall of the impeller housing, not sure what the problem is, but it is very frustrating, if the sound doesn't go down by tomorrow ill try lubing up this new impeller, then if it is still loud on thur / fri I guess I will call hagen and see where to go from there

:banghead:

decided to give the new impeller some time to break in.... well its been a month, its not broken in, just broken haha.

the filter is just as noisy as ever, if not more so, guess I will be back on the phone with hagen monday morning to see if i cant get them to resolve this issue, there is absolutely no way this thing should be this loud, especially after getting a new impeller which according to hagen should have fixed the problem.

Did you remove the shaft and examine it for wear? More often than not the shaft is the problem, and is cheaper to replace than the impeller. If the shaft is worn, it can cause uneven wear inside the impeller, in which case it will be noisy.
When it is working, the impeller should not touch the sides of the housing or the shaft. It should actually ride on a film of water between the stationary and moving parts. Debris in the filter can alter this, so the motor should be removed and thoroughly cleaned occasionally.

I have only had the filter a month and a half, there should be no wear, not to mention it's been this way from the very start.

That being said the shaft could be out of whack from shipping, how exactly do I go about pulling it out? Just use a pair of needle nose pliers?

Back
Top Bottom