Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2013, 11:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

AquaClear issues lately, Made video

Ok so.... A lot of members are having issues with there AquaClear filters and it upsets me when anyone is having issues with a tank or piece of equipment. This is a rather horrible video but I made it it hope to help others.

Also a lot of people have asked me what I run in my filters, media wise. Please forgive the quality. I already got one dislike lol. It's all good...

If this helps just one person it's worth it, you can hear me talking so low lol. The whole house is asleep.

75 gallon "mixed" African cichlid tank at night - YouTube

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:01 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
I love the way the light caught the eyes of all your fish. And of course the bubbler has to be mentioned...

Nice video.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I responded to the other post that was about this. I simply went to another store and bought the same model. The second one is so quiet that I have to check it just to make sure it's still running. The first one was noisy right out of the box and got a little noisier each day so I swapped it out. I first ran both side by side to make sure. I run mine with 2 sponges and 1 bio media bag on top. I love my AC20!
Old 03-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

this seems like as good of a place as any to post this rather than start a whole new topic.

I just picked up my AC 70, and got it all hooked up, filled the tank with water, however I couldnt get the tube to hold water and in place, the water would run out before that, so I had to run it with the tube dry until it sucked the water in, now there is a small air bubble in the elbow of the intake tube at the top, is this normal or something I should try and work out?
Old 03-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Try swing the intake back and forth from full flow to minimum flow rate. This is happening with my AC-20. I also pour a cup of tank water into the filter right on top of where the intake goes into where the impeller is.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

That worked, all set up now, got great flow, it is somewhat loud but will take it apart and check the impeller then give it a couple of weeks to see if the grinding noises go away.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyxx View Post
I love the way the light caught the eyes of all your fish. And of course the bubbler has to be mentioned...

Nice video.
Haha yeah.. Thanks!!

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:57 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

so I took my ac 70 apart this afternoon and put some vaseline on the impeller shaft, it quieted it down, when I came back home a few hours later, I actually heard the filter when I was coming down the hall, through a closed door, not a good sign, it had gotten just as loud again, so I pulled it apart and reapplied the vaseline, it quieted it down, but with in an hour it was just as noisy again.

is this noise something that will dissipate or did I get a lemon that I should return for a new one?
Old 03-09-2013, 02:02 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
Ok so.... A lot of members are having issues with there AquaClear filters and it upsets me when anyone is having issues with a tank or piece of equipment. This is a rather horrible video but I made it it hope to help others.

Also a lot of people have asked me what I run in my filters, media wise. Please forgive the quality. I already got one dislike lol. It's all good...

If this helps just one person it's worth it, you can hear me talking so low lol. The whole house is asleep.

75 gallon "mixed" African cichlid tank at night - YouTube

Thanks! I love tanks at night!
Old 03-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

so I took the filer apart again, lubed the impeller shaft,and then I popped the plastic blade piece off the impeller magnet and wrapped its seat with teflon plumbers tape to snug it up, put it all back together, and its still just as noisy as before.

Tags
aquaclear, clear, video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com