Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2014, 12:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1792 View Post
You can really do a nice job with custom media with the C series and you don't even have to shut the things off when you servcie them.
I don't shut off my AquaClears either when cleaning or replacing media. As long as you have the intake tube set to high flow, very little dirt will spill into the tank when removing the media basket. I find that a lot of dirt will spill into the tank if removing the media basket while using the low flow setting of the intake tube.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 07-30-2014, 09:13 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The Aquaclears are a Fluval product.. just bought two 70's for my 55 gallon and believe it or not my tank water has never been clearer and my ammonia and nitrites are measuring at 0 ppm for the first time since.. ever! Love them!! Best filters I've ever owned hands down!

Old 07-30-2014, 10:15 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfelton22 View Post
The Aquaclears are a Fluval product.. just bought two 70's for my 55 gallon and believe it or not my tank water has never been clearer and my ammonia and nitrites are measuring at 0 ppm for the first time since.. ever! Love them!! Best filters I've ever owned hands down!
Are you stuffing them with floss ??????? Using Purigen?

They do work ..... just not out of the box configuration. Floss + Puriigen = Crystal Clear water.

Your tank water may have never been clearer ....... but that is a VERY low bar. If you want the best crystal clear and polished water ...... stuff you AC's with Sera Wool floss and Purigen.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:49 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am still trying to figure out the magic bullet to having crystal clear water. I have 6 tanks, all using AquaClear 50 and 70, all with basic AquaClear media, none have carbon, all stocked with the same bioload, same fish species, same fish size, all fed the same diet, all on the same light timer, all same LED light fixture. However 4 of my tanks are crystal clear and 2 are slightly cloudy. Two of the tanks have plants in flower pots, but 1 of the 2 planted tanks is cloudy. I have even done 80% water changes to make all tanks become crystal clear, but after 1 day the two problem tanks become slightly cloudy again. No medications, no sick fish. No ammonia or nitrites, and 20 ppm nitrate in all tanks. I don't understand the cause of the cloudiness in the 2 tanks. One of the cloudy tanks even has a slightly lower bioload than some of the crystal clear tanks.

I've considered the possibility that some fish have diabetes and are urinating a lot and the filters cannot handle fish urine. It's far-fetched but I can't think of any other explanation.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:53 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Add filter floss and purigen to the filters. Are you dosing ferts, specifically iron and phosphate?
Old 07-31-2014, 07:01 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Nano12g View Post
Add filter floss and purigen to the filters. Are you dosing ferts, specifically iron and phosphate?
These 6 tanks - no ferts, no CO2, no glut/exel, no additives except for Seachem Prime during a water change. The 6 tanks are 3x 30 gallon and 3x 20 long. One 20 long is cloudy, and one 30 gal is cloudy. It's really strange how the cloudiness comes back within 1 day of an 80% water change.

I've even considered swapping the fish into each other's tanks, but I figured that the stress from catching them was not worth risking for a minor cosmetic issue.

The fact that the 4 clear tanks don't have floss or carbon/purigen tells me that those products are not needed to produce a crystal clear tank... but sadly I don't know what is making the 2 tanks cloudy.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:05 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

How long have these tanks been setup? Any new DW pieces added by any chance? What substrate are they using?
Old 07-31-2014, 08:33 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The 6 tanks are all bare bottom. Two of the six tanks have 3 identical cup-sized plastic flower pots containing identical amounts of carribsea floramax. One of these "planted" tanks is clear while another is cloudy. The carribsea floramax was all washed at the same time. Both "planted" tanks have 4 to 5 Cory that like to explore the substrate.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:47 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

How long ago were they setup?
Old 08-01-2014, 10:56 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

All 6 tanks were setup within the 3rd week of April 2014. At that time they were all crystal clear. The cloudiness in the 2 culprit tanks began shortly after introducing fish. One cloudy tank has 6 corydora (20 gallon with potted plants) and the other cloudy tank has 6 large swordtails (30 gallon, no plants).

Tags
aquac, aquaclear, clear, fluval, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com