Aquaclear vs Fluval

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C4 best HOB ever get it.... only reason I could see getting a AC is for the 110 but I would rather have 2 C4's. Had my C4 for like 3 years, always worked, motor never gets plugged up, easy to change filter media and remove carbon if needed.

Only issue I have had is if you unplug it sometimes you need to "poke" the impeller with you finger to get it spinning again.

IMO the C series is basically the new upgrade to the AC's but the AC's were so popular Hagen didn't want to stop selling them so now they have 2 HOB lines....

Clean it, hardly. I think what they're experiencing is something common to both AC and Fluval C filters. After it's been unplugged and cleaned, it sometimes doesn't start back up after being plugged back in. You simply have to use a skewer stick or something similar and give the impeller a little nudge. Just adjust the flow control until it moves the intake tube enough to expose the impeller in order to reach it with stick. Works every time.

Exactly. An ice pick or small screw driver works as well. This is not rocket science. .........

But ........ I do find it bizarre. For a premium product at a premium price, you'd think the morons at Hagen could get it right.

Although inferior in all other aspects, at least WalMart AquaTech filters will go a full year without this problem. I got two years on one along with BB algae clogs before mine quit spinning. At the time .... I was not doing enough water changes before joining this forum.

Yeah that's strange. I have no idea why they don't address this when this happens in all their HOBs I have. I have 2x AC's and 2x C filters. Aside from this minor annoyance and the initial not-so-silent break-in period, the filters have all worked great for my needs. But seriously, maybe they should include this issue in a "trouble shooting" section of their owners manual if they don't address the problem in the design or tolerances in the manufacturing process. But knowing this issue + the easy work around, I'd happily buy another C filter if need be and I have no reservations in recommending them.

I just remove the intake tube and the grey rectangular impeller chamber cap, then very lightly nudge the impeller with the tip of my index finger. Works too and doesn't hurt my finger at all.

I experience this problem every 5 to 10 months. I've always attributed it to bio-slime accumulation in the impeller chamber. However if you guys are experiencing it after cleaning the impeller, then maybe it is not related to bio-slime after all.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app
exaactly what I was talking about lol. I'd how or why the magnet doesn't move the impeller until you poke it? Cheaper Tetra and Marineland filters motors always work.

My AC motors always jammed with barnacle type things and the media basket kind of falls apart when pulled out. Never had my C4 jam tho.

C4 best HOB ever get it.... only reason I could see getting a AC is for the 110 but I would rather have 2 C4's. Had my C4 for like 3 years, always worked, motor never gets plugged up, easy to change filter media and remove carbon if needed.

Only issue I have had is if you unplug it sometimes you need to "poke" the impeller with you finger to get it spinning again.

IMO the C series is basically the new upgrade to the AC's but the AC's were so popular Hagen didn't want to stop selling them so now they have 2 HOB lines....
Amen.

Not sure if you saw my post #4 in this thread ..... but you may want to put Seachem Purigen in the chemical chamber in lieu of carbon.

Back
Top Bottom