Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-27-2014, 04:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Aquaclear vs Fluval

Hey guys,

I'm curious as to what your take is on aquaclear power filter vs the fluval c4. My 55 gallon tank is currently running on a in-tank filter and it seems to be doing an awful job at clearing water debris. My plants are covered with brownish waste. Anyways, I know that the fluval c4 has the carbon filter which would help the cause of clearing the water. What's ya'lls take on this as well. I would also love to hear any other product recommendations.

Thanks

Old 07-27-2014, 05:01 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I have never use the Fluval, but do have several ACs. I like them because the sponges last for many years so there is no ongoing cost for replacing elements. having said that, most of my tanks are filtered using Hydrosponge filters.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I have had both aquaclears and fluval c-Series HOB's. IMO, the fluval c-Series is like an AC but more updated, innovative, and refined. They're both made by Hagen/Fluval so they share the same impeller and reliability. However, the c-Series has a great modular design with a wet/dry trickle chamber for optimal BB growth and sustainability. I've been using a c2 for 2 years now and just got a c4 because I loved it that much. I'd get the c4 if I were you. IMO, the only filter better than it would be a canister filter, no other HOB can beat it. An AC gets close though. Watch some YouTube vids on it and be amazed!
Old 07-28-2014, 06:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Nano12g View Post
I have had both aquaclears and fluval c-Series HOB's. IMO, the fluval c-Series is like an AC but more updated, innovative, and refined. They're both made by Hagen/Fluval so they share the same impeller and reliability. However, the c-Series has a great modular design with a wet/dry trickle chamber for optimal BB growth and sustainability. I've been using a c2 for 2 years now and just got a c4 because I loved it that much. I'd get the c4 if I were you. IMO, the only filter better than it would be a canister filter, no other HOB can beat it. An AC gets close though. Watch some YouTube vids on it and be amazed!
Fluval C4 for sure. AquaClear is obsolete by comparison . You can really do a nice job with custom media with the C series and you don't even have to shut the things off when you servcie them.

Here is a link to my HOB filtration section on Photobucket which shows the separate compartments and my C series custom media ..... as well as a shot of that horrible messy AquaClear media basket.

HOB Filtration Photos by Paul1792 | Photobucket

(click on each picture to enlarge it and see the full explanation)
Old 07-28-2014, 06:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Nice work, Paul. You should do a write up with photos here so you can link to it.

I also modified my fluval-c. I'm still in the original sponge but when the polishing layer got trashed, I peeled it away and use this in lieu of it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00025...ref=mp_s_a_1_4

I also don't use the activated carbon anymore. I added biomax there along with a small media bag of purigen. I love how this filter can accommodate customized media.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I've been using a c2 for 2 years now and just got a c4 because I loved it that much.
You never had your impeller stuck due to bio-slime buildup inside impeller chamber that so many verified owners in amazon complained about? Do you clean the impeller chamber often?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 07-28-2014, 09:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Clean it, hardly. I think what they're experiencing is something common to both AC and Fluval C filters. After it's been unplugged and cleaned, it sometimes doesn't start back up after being plugged back in. You simply have to use a skewer stick or something similar and give the impeller a little nudge. Just adjust the flow control until it moves the intake tube enough to expose the impeller in order to reach it with stick. Works every time.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Clean it, hardly. I think what they're experiencing is something common to both AC and Fluval C filters. After it's been unplugged and cleaned, it sometimes doesn't start back up after being plugged back in. You simply have to use a skewer stick or something similar and give the impeller a little nudge. Just adjust the flow control until it moves the intake tube enough to expose the impeller in order to reach it with stick. Works every time.
Exactly. An ice pick or small screw driver works as well. This is not rocket science. .........

But ........ I do find it bizarre. For a premium product at a premium price, you'd think the morons at Hagen could get it right.

Although inferior in all other aspects, at least WalMart AquaTech filters will go a full year without this problem. I got two years on one along with BB algae clogs before mine quit spinning. At the time .... I was not doing enough water changes before joining this forum.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Yeah that's strange. I have no idea why they don't address this when this happens in all their HOBs I have. I have 2x AC's and 2x C filters. Aside from this minor annoyance and the initial not-so-silent break-in period, the filters have all worked great for my needs. But seriously, maybe they should include this issue in a "trouble shooting" section of their owners manual if they don't address the problem in the design or tolerances in the manufacturing process. But knowing this issue + the easy work around, I'd happily buy another C filter if need be and I have no reservations in recommending them.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:56 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
After it's been unplugged and cleaned, it sometimes doesn't start back up after being plugged back in. You simply have to use a skewer stick or something similar and give the impeller a little nudge.
I just remove the intake tube and the grey rectangular impeller chamber cap, then very lightly nudge the impeller with the tip of my index finger. Works too and doesn't hurt my finger at all.

I experience this problem every 5 to 10 months. I've always attributed it to bio-slime accumulation in the impeller chamber. However if you guys are experiencing it after cleaning the impeller, then maybe it is not related to bio-slime after all.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tags
aquac, aquaclear, clear, fluval, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com