Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-28-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
aquaillumination sol super blue par questions

I've been doing some research on the aquaillumination sol's, and I have a couple questions regarding their published par ratings. First does anyone know if the par numbers they post on their website is in open air or through water? Also are those par ratings for the white or super blue fixture? Last, anyone done their own par tests on the super blue fixtures? They sound good, but I have a ton of sps and don't want to make a $1200 mistake.

deepseadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:31 AM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Just by looking at the PAR #'s I would say it's thru water. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the color of the LED's affects PAR so it's probably the same for either model.

125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Look around on the web a little, I wish I had the link but someone did a test with measuring par values, they were right on, and blues have more par then the whites, something to do with the purple crees penetrating the water better.

They had direct comparisons. I have three and have them set at highest 70% for one hour and that was too much and caused some bleaching, that was with almost three months of acclimating and bringing the lights up in % each week or so.

I got a new birdsnest colony and have a book over the top of the tank to acclimate it to the lights.

They are great and their customer service is awesome. Justin will help you with anything.
leftyfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com