Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-16-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus
Aqualogic/Ranco Controller, Which Heater?

For those with an Aqualogic/Ranco controller, what Brand of heater are you using? I'm trying to find out which ones they work best with. Thankies

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm using a Johnson Controls controller... not sure if it makes a difference though. I'm using it on 2x Visitherms - not the Stealths. No issues really to speak of. I have the thermostats on the heaters set to 84 or 86 (can't remember) as a "failsafe", and not just set to their max. Once in a while during a heating cycle, one of the heaters will turn off for a couple minutes, even though the controller is on. After a couple minutes, it will come back on again. I just figure it's either locally reaching that temperature and the heater's thermostat is kicking it off, or there is an internal overtemp switch that kicks the heater off after XX minutes. Either way, it doesn't really bother anything, just takes a little longer to bring things up to temp, which is probably a good thing.

Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:12 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
I use an Ebo Jager on a controller and do what Kurt said. I set the heater to a couple degrees hotter than my controller to be redundant. My controller is the APEX Neptune so it does more than just control temp. I let my controller do most of the work and use the thermostat on the heater just as a secondary fail safe.
Ebo Jager works well for me. German engineered from Eheim I believe.
ryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I have a Visitherm and a Stealth heater hooked up to my dual stage Ranco. I have both heaters cranked up to about 90 just to make sure they come on when the Ranco gives them power.
125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote

controller, eat, eater, heater, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com