Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Question Aquapure filters

Has anyone out there used the Aquapure filter I see advertised to
remove nitrates? Wonder if it is cracked up to what they say it is?

Old 01-26-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hi, It's Aquaria-pure. I have used one and they are a pain. Constant adjustment, constant clogging, no effect on my nitrates. You feed them vodka and the vodka clogs them. Have to constantly remove the tubing and blow it out and re-adjust. Way over priced, IMO, for very little effect. If they were all they were cracked up to be everyone would use one. Try Bio-pellets to lower nitrates. Can be set up cheaper and works better.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I figured as much. What brand bio pellets do you use. I have
never used that, just fluval canister w foam and charcoal and
those ceramic bio thingys. My nitrates are at about 10. Which
they have lived with it for months. It got way high about 3 mos
ago and you sure don't get them down in days..... it is weeks!!
Old 01-26-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

10ppm is fine! Don't stress it! Most people who claim they have 0 trates are full of it anyway! 10 is just fine. Don;t spend money and mess with your system for nothing.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I figured, if it is that bad why ain't they all dead??
!! I think I am doing fine. Tank is clear as can be.
I do at least 10% chg weekly. I have had no fatalities in
months. I've learned a lot since October of 09 when
I changed over to salt. Don't let nobody tell you it is
easy, right? It is well worth it. Such a rewarding hobby.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

See anything you would critique? I am always willing
to take any suggestions! I got new finger coral yesterday
and the wedged bubbletip and some Rics, a cute little
sea hare. Do I need to move finger coral up to that top
rock?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_1693.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	27444   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_1692.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	27445  

Old 01-27-2011, 12:35 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well a few things of advice, not critique. RESIST adding too many corals all at once. You'll end up wasting $ as some will not make it. ! evry month would be better. Watch out for flatworms hitch-hiking on your corals. They will reak havoc. WATCH that cute little Sea Hare. If they are stressed out they can INK. Shot ink like a squid does. This ink can be toxic. If they die in the tank, it's even worse, possibly killing the whole tank SO make SURE you are running a canister of activated carbon and change it every couple weeks. Every one will say "WE all strive for 0 nitrates". Strive and acheive are 2 differeent things. IF you want an SPS tank then striving for 0 is al good. Keeping softies and hardy LPS 10 is fine. Try not to let it raise higher by doing water changes. I KNOW water changes are THE most important thing. We all hate doing them but thats the key to keeping a nice reef tank.

Next thing, KEEP distance between corals. They FIGHT and kill each other. If you see pictures of these beautiful packed full of coral tanks you can bet they are pretty newly stocked and will NOT look beautiful 6 months later as the corals start to fight. So resist adding too quickly and too much.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks a bunch. It is so hard to resist buying stuff. The sea hare is not so cute anymore....live and learn.
I notices a couple of my rivieras are splitting or whatever that is.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

How do ricordea get along? I hope ok cuz they do well for me!
Old 01-27-2011, 05:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I only say about buying stuff because, believe me, I've done the same thing. I have to fill a 220 gal tank with corals and tiny frags just don't cut it. After spending lots, and still having the credit card bills to prove it (lol), I've decided I like leather corals the best of all. I've killed a Torch coral, a Birds Nest, an Alveapora. I'm not sure I killed them but they aren't around anymore so something killed them. Here's what I have in my 220: Gonoipora (most say they last only 6 months), Green Star Polyps, Big Toadstool, Green Pagoda, Devil's Hand, Small Xenia Frag, Green Finger Leather, Brown Button Polyps, White Pipe Organ, Two Colt Corals, Frogspawn (fading fast, from 6 heads to 2, and I'll never get another one), Yellow Scroll (boring coral, slow grower, does nothing), and a small Kenya Tree. My favorites are the colts, Toadstool, and Pipe Organ). Here's the thing, there is never a day when EVERY coral looks it's best. There is always at LEAST one that doesn't look so good on any given day and it switches all around, if you know what I mean. Right now, my FAVORITE Colt, which is usually the size of a soccer ball is all compressed to the size of a fist and has been like that for 3 days. For fish I have a yellow Tang, Blue Hippo Tang, Naso Tang, Percula Clown, Green Chromis, 2 yellow damsels, Bi-Pseudo (Dottyback), 6 Line Wrasse, 2 Anthias and an Algae Blenny. Clean up crew consists of about 45 or 50 Small Mexican Red Leg Hermits, 35 snails (Turbo, Stomatella, and others) and a huge Coral Banded Shrimp. I once had a Sea Hare but he got into a Koralia powerhead and met his death. My 220 is in my living room and feeds to the basement where I have a 100 gallon sump with an ASM G6 skimmer, Turf Algae filter, Refugium with mangroves and live rock, two media reactors running carbon and GFO. My tank is barebottom, NO sandbed. It is lighted by 900 watts of metal halide and 300 watts of T5's. I have 5 Koralia 4's for circulation. I only skim from 10pm to 10am. My skimmer is the size of a small rocket ship and pulls as much out in 12 hours as a smaller skimmer would pull in 24. So running 24 hours only wasted my electric bill. This tank used to be a fish only with live rock and there are days I miss that as I loved my huge triggers, groupers, puffers etc that I can't keep with a reef tank. Also a fish only tank used way less electricity as it could be lighted by a few t5's only, didn't need 5 powerheads and a huge skimmer. I love my corals but miss my fsh but can't afford electric to run more then one big tank.

Tags
filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com