Aquarium crack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tigerbarbman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a crack in the bottom of my 50 gallon tank it is the silicone and i have sealed it up with some stuff called E-6000 and it is water proof and can be put on glass. Also i have some super glue that i want to put above it but then after it dries for a day or 2 i will put water in it and let it sit for a while so it can cure.
Is this ok for my fish? Please help.

Moved to Hardware discussion.

I am not sure I would trust anything to hold a crack on the bottom of the tank. If the crack propogates you could be looking at a pretty large disaster. 50 gallons of water on the carpet can make quite a mess...

I'm curious about the crack. I read that it was in the silicone... but perhaps I misunderstood. If it's the silicone, you'll need to re-seal the whole thing. You can't just patch over silicone. If it's glass, you'll need to replace the pane.

but can i patch over the silicone with the E-6000 it is made for glass and it is waterfroof.

once silicon is dry, it won't bond to itself very well. If the seam is ripped or leaking, you need to clean out the entire seam, and reseal with aquarium safe silicon.

but can i patch over the silicone with the E-6000 it is made for glass and it is waterfroof.

Maybe... I am not familiar with E-6000. But generally I wouldn't recommend it. I would recommend replacing the silicon. Too much risk with that much water.

Usually (but of course not always) a 50 gallon tank has a tempered bottom.

Tempered glass does not crack, it just disintegrates when it fails.

Edit: OK, you clarified that it's the sealant. Yes, like others said, just reseal it with aquarium safe silicone.

So where do you think i can find this silicone i found some on ebay but is that better then the on at my local meijers?

Online or a hardware store. Too be safe you can pickup the specialty stuff that says aquarium on it. But any 100% silicon calk with no anti mold or other additives can work fine.

I would go the safe route and buy a new, or a used tank. That would be quite a mess if the seal broke. Craigslist??

Re-sealing a tank is easy, as long as you can read simple directions. I'd never suggest someone buy a new tank if all that has to be done is re-sealing with $4 of silicone.

Back
Top Bottom