Aquarium filter help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharklover

Aquarium Advice Freak
My filter is a 40-70 aqua clear filter and it works for fw+sw and even though mine is in a 37g freshwater i figured because it can go in sw i would ask my question here because it seems the people in the sw forums know more in general,,,anyway my question is; ive had my tank up and running for about 5 months and i never heard a sound out of my filter but lately ive noticed a moderatly loud humm and once in a blue moon i hear a low discrete crackle,now the only maintenance i have done for my filter was i recently cleaned out the intake tube and i monthly replace the carbon,i also prime the filter properly when i have to turn off/on so does anyone have any idea what the problem is,or how to fix it,and can anyone tell me what else i need to do to keep my filter working properly???---thanks!---

A small piece of the carbon may have gotten down in the impeller. Take it apart and check, I used to have that problem all the time with my magnum 350, I just had to take it apart and make sure when I put it back together it didn't happen again.

My filter does the same thing! I was thinking that there is something like debris by the motor in the filter and it is doing that. If that is the case put your filter cartridge in a bucket with USED aquarium water and then take the filter apart and look and see what u can find. I did this and it stopped the noise for about a week.

BTW don't u have an exact copy of this in the SW forum???

Moved to General Hardware/Equipment Discussion.

When you cleaned the intake, are you sure you repositioned the impellar properly? Nothing is missing or chipped/cracked on the impellar. Also, make sure that nothing dropped into the impellar chamber. You should be able to remove the motor housing if I am correct and Hagen added this to the design, but wait for an actual owner to comment on this.

I'd suggest removing the impeller and motor, wash the impeller off and make sure there's nothing stuck to it (I use my aquarium scrub brush on it). If you take a Q-Tip and swab out the impeller chamber (careful with the shaft in it), there's usually gunk in there (mine anyway), put it back together and you should be good. I just did all this to my very dirty AC50 and it's running great right now :D.

Back
Top Bottom