Aquarium Glass Cutting and ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThickGlass

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi:

I just posted in to answer a question on how to cut thick glass and I thought I would repost a part of that.

The best way to cut thick glass is with a water jet. Since those start at about $50,000 dollars and go up. It is not a DYI project for most. One warning is that the Jet will leave a bevel so don't just carry the glass in where a typical employee today will happily cut it wrong for you. If you are keeping both edges then you must be prepared for a gap on one side or cut one edge flat and grind the other edge flat. Diamond saw cutting will do a better job but take a lot longer and probably cost more. Of course the saw can be had for a few hundred dollars. If the glass is stressed it may almost explode in the diamond saw but then you really wouldn't want that glass in a tank either would you.

Now for me!
I am interested in recycling thick glass for charity art and stuff. Unless it is tested for strain, it can never be safely used for a tank but I am interested in glass damaged or otherwise. I am especially interested in 1/2" or thicker glass and 1/4" or thicker if it is the water white glass. If I can cut the cracks out and still end up with hand span pieces I would be interested. In some places one has to pay to take that to the disposal so I would certainly pay shipping and a bit more. In California or Nevada area, I might even pick up. I am not really looking for plexiglass BTW. :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom