Aquarium Glue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richiestang_78

Aquarium Advice Freak
I plan on getting some either Dwarf or Ram Cichlids for one of my tank. I plan on cutting some ceremic plant pots in half to give the fish some places to hide however I want to make them blend more with my dark substrate by attaching some of the substrate itself to the outside. How would I go about doing this and what should I use?

You could aply a thin smeared layer of aquarium safe silicone sealent(RTV) and then roll the pots in sand or small gravel that is similar to your substrate or just use some of your substrate take out a couple handfulls rinse it dry it and roll the pots in that.

Alright thanks. At bigalsonline.com I saw something called Mr. Sticky's Underwater Glue, wouldnt this work? IS there any concerns I should have anout using a regular ceramic pot in the tank? I probably will get them from liek Home Depot or something.

Yeah that will work but it sets fast and is much harder to clean up after words and is more expencive than the silicone. With the silicone you can spred and smooth it with your hands. And cleanup is easy just wash your hands and other stuff you use in rubbing alchohal before it drys. The silicone also stays worckable alot longer than the epoxy. Epoxy 5-10 min workabilty if that. silicone 30-40 min workability.

Hey can I use any silicone or does it have to be aquarium safe? I mean isnt silicone, silicone? I already have some silicone for a calk gun and would rather use that instead of having to buy new.

Not all silicone is the same this I have come to learn via the automobile world some silicones use a vulcanizing agent that leaches gasses into its enviroment that can be potentialy harmful to life in your aqaurium. And in the auto world some silicones will acually cause oxegen sensors to fail or deteriate rather rapidly. so to be on the safe side I would stick to silicones that accualy state on the tube that it is aquarium safe. Any others and you could put all your fish in danger.

I've sone this with PVC pipe. Your flowerpots will come out awesome. Be sure to post some pics.

You can't use any silicone that contains color or antifungal chemicals.
GE Silicone-II clear silicone adhesive is aquarium safe. You can get it at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Make sure it says 100% silicone, and is clear.
All-Glass makes silicone adhesive too. You can get it at any lfs, but it's much more expensive than the GE product.

I have a tube of all-glass silicone I bought at PETCO. It was 3 - 4 dollars the amount that I use it. It will last quite some time.

One other thing, wait at least 24-48 hours before re-adding the pots to the tank to allow the silicone to fully dry. Definately aquarium safe silicone is a must.

QTOFFER said:
GE Silicone-II clear silicone adhesive is aquarium safe. You can get it at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Make sure it says 100% silicone, and is clear.
All-Glass makes silicone adhesive too. You can get it at any lfs, but it's much more expensive than the GE product.

Hhmmm, I thought it was Silicone I (Window & Door)...that's what I researched a while back and read several aquarium approvals of this product. I used it to do something similar, with PVC pipe and regular gravel. No problems at all, but let it cure/dry for 3 days.

The tube says that it's not safe for aquariums, but apparently that is only on tubes manufactured in the past year or so - and was only done for legal reasons.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/aqrepfaq3.htm
GE Silicone I has been aquarium safe to date, but II is not.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/paludarium/paludarium3.html
After looking up different silicones on the web I found that GE silicone I #012a is suitable for aquarium use.

http://www.aquamaniacs.net/forum/cms_view_article.php?aid=107
"GE Silicone I" is a brand known to be aquarium safe.

http://www.gesealants.com/sealants/diy/answercenter/faq/application/aquarium.htm
The Silicone II product line releases ammonia as the by-product of cure. The ammonia can change the pH of the water in the aquarium having a negative impact on the marine life.

Attachments

• safe_silicone_138.jpg
    safe_silicone_138.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 27
just make sure it says "acetic cure" or "aquarium safe" on the label somewhere.
had a friend just lose a tankful of fish because he used standard silicone, so beware

Thanks for your info, noncentric. I'd hate to steer anyone toward the wrong product. I thought that 100% clear silicone (which silicone II is) was the important thing to look for.

So, what is the difference between GE Silicone I and II? In any case, GE does not recommend the use of any of their consumer products in aquariums - I guess they don't want the liability bother.

As far as the curing byproducts are concerned (acetic acid or ammonia), wouldn't this become a non-issue once the product was fully cured?

QTOFFER said:
Thanks for your info, noncentric. I'd hate to steer anyone toward the wrong product. I thought that 100% clear silicone (which silicone II is) was the important thing to look for.

So, what is the difference between GE Silicone I and II? In any case, GE does not recommend the use of any of their consumer products in aquariums - I guess they don't want the liability bother.

As far as the curing byproducts are concerned (acetic acid or ammonia), wouldn't this become a non-issue once the product was fully cured?
You seem to know the answer already. Acetic acid type (SiliconeI) is the preferred one. It is important to get the window and door one. Never use anything that says "tub and tile" or "Kitchens and baths", as those ones generally contain a mildewcide. Paying extra to see AGA written on the side of a tube of GE Silicone I, is ok if you have lots of money. Around here, it is 3 times the price.

BillD said:
QTOFFER said:

You seem to know the answer already. Acetic acid type (SiliconeI) is the preferred one. It is important to get the window and door one. Never use anything that says "tub and tile" or "Kitchens and baths", as those ones generally contain a mildewcide. Paying extra to see AGA written on the side of a tube of GE Silicone I, is ok if you have lots of money. Around here, it is 3 times the price.

Yep, what BillD said. I think I is also more water-resistant than II, but that's not as important as the other issues.

It does say "not safe for aquariums" on it now, but I've used it liberally (and I know of others that have too) without any tank problems. The fact that is 'used to' say okay for aquariums helped sway that decision. I just didn't want to pay $9 for fewer ounces than the $4 tube of Silicone I. ;)

Back
Top Bottom