Aquarium Hoods....Eggcrate? Standard???whats best? Any pics?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arminkropp

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering what eggcrate looks like on a tank? anyone have pics?
Also whats best? Having your tank covered with a stock hood, or with an aftermarket PC setup with legs and the rest open?

Thanx

I can't see why (IMO) anyone would cover up there tank with a hood. First of all I love the top view of my tank. Second of all I think that your tank should be exposed to as much fresh air as possible, it's only natural. I have used egg crate in the past to keep jumpers in, but now I just have the lights on some legs and thats it. Go natural!

I use a hood for evaporation control, temperature control, splash and salt creep reduction, keeping critters in, but mostly for keeping non aquarium things out (I have toddlers).

But then, I run fish only, and have nowhere near a "natural" setup.

Temperature control? Doesn't it keeps things hotter in the summer. Tanks are easy to keep warm, but the prices on those chillers....whoa!

I originally kept a glass lid on the tank. I had problems keeping my pH up and it was suggested here to remove the lid to get better oxygen exchange. I put my light on legs and have had a stable pH ever since. I think that my salt creep is less without the lid.

A question for all you topless people...No problems with fish jumping out? I am pondering this dilemma as well. Going to upgrade to Coralife PC lighting this week and wondered if egg crate or glass top was better....Now I wonder if I should just go topless....

I have been going topless since I restarted my tank a couple of years ago. I have never lost a fish to jumping, however, I tend to avoid wrasses and firefish in my topless tank. The light penetration without a hood is soooo much better. My corals love it.

Yeah, I had eggcrate when I had my firefish but since he moved on I have been topless. I would say it's the way to go, like I said, the view from above is awesome, I'd hate to have to lose that. I have to believe that those with hoods are increasing their temp by a ton, I had a hood on a 20 gal awhile years ago and had 100 watts of lighting on top and everytime I opened it it was like a sauna in there. Hot moist air just poured out. IMO the more evaporation due to open air the better, it's a good oportunity to get plenty of fresh water in there every day. Go Topless!

Do you put the egg crate under your lights? doesnt that cut off a lot of light?

2 Todder Boys have me keeping a glass top on...but I keep the back open.

Also...the Coralife Aqualights, well...at least the 36" Coralife Lunar Aqualight that I have states: "MUST BE USED ON COVERED AQUARIUMS"...well...maybe not quoted exactly as that...but similar wording.

Open or Eggcrated tops are the preferred method...but to keep hands, matchbox cars, peanut butter sandwichs. and m&m's out of tanks...I chose a glass cover.

WC

Finally my kids are old enough to understand that if a foreign object ends up the tank daddy will make you live in the garage.

Lots of light gets through, it's actually used to protect flourcent lights, in offices and schools and u can buy it at a hardware store in the flourcent lighting area

has anyone used flourecent lighting panel? I've ruined two because it broke when i was cutting it. any suggestions of a good way to cut it?

PatM said:
Temperature control? Doesn't it keeps things hotter in the summer. Tanks are easy to keep warm, but the prices on those chillers....whoa!

I live in a rental with electricity provided. My wife keeps the house at 74 in the summer and 68 in the winter. My big concerns are keeping the water in the tank and everything else out.

But then again, I DON'T HAVE CORALS! :bad-words:

I had a regular top on mine - then went to egg crate when I got my know lights with legs. I think the tank looks better, temperature is stable, air circ improved, salt creep went down, light penetration is better, and they tank is easier to feed.

Only draw back - higher evap - but adding water is never really a drawback for the fishies.

Joanne

After reading in this forum about going topless I pulled my glass top off my tank and went to HD and bought eggcrate (in the lighting department) for about 10$ and used snips to cut the shape I wanted and have been pleased with the effect. I would say that the diffuser cuts only a minimal amount of light...

Back
Top Bottom