Aquarium Insulation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laurence

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a large aquarium located in a cold room in my house. In winter the temp often goes down to 50 degrees. I want to keep the aquarium at the right temperature, but I don't want to spend a small fortune on electric bills. What is the best way to insulate this tank, and where would I buy the materials? Ive been thinking about one of those plastic small shrubbery covers they sell in garden supply stores. Anyone else have this problem? How did you solve it?

How big is large? My house also gets down to high 40's to low 50's at night in the winter. I have thought about just putting a blanket over it or running the lights at night, but I have not really had much temp change in the tank. My tank is 75gal and I run 2 200w heaters. My temp range is 78-81 over the whole year never changing more than 1 deg a day.

I had a friend who would wrap a electric blanket around the tank. And he said it worked well. Personally i would be a little worried about it getting wet. But as far as keeping warm it was a winner.

be2lose asks a great question. the larger the body of water the more it retains its heat. do you have a lid on the tank? you can go to home depot and get styrofoam to go on the back and sides.

I would put 1/2" insulating foam (pink, blue, or silver backed from Home Depot or Lowes) on the back, sides, and tank bottom (you should already have some foam or rubber mat between the tank and stand) during the winter months. You could also put some on top of the tank; just cut strips and place them on the glass canopy on ether side of the light fixture.

Back
Top Bottom