Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-23-2015, 10:28 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Install it on a flat and level surface. Make sure the tank is level.
55 is ok. Or it should be! (Span several joists)
Also the weight given, you need to add glass/cabinet and decor to the water weight.

I had a shock when the panels turned up for my tank, it took me a while to pluck up the courage to glue that together! In the grand scheme of things, yours and mine are both small systems.

So, Best of luck!
Lucky turtle!

FW-750L DIY, 120L, 2x110L(not my)DIY. BW-60L DIY. Sw (nearly!)(http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...se-284360.html)
^almost a DIY Fish House^ https://m.youtube.com/user/4tanks2day (L=litre)
J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:00 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Ive had a 55 galon on the second floor for 2 and a half years with no issue so you'll be fine i think. Just make sue its running perpendicular to the joists and you won't have any issues.

High-Tech 55 gallon-10 gallon reef
2015 AA Fantasy Football Champion
I've Got plants! Visit: www.lincolnsaquatics.com to see whats available!
Dallascowboys16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:00 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Let's put it in perspective: if you figure the average adult man weighs somewhere in the 175-200 lb range, then a 55 gallon tank fully filled with water is about the same as 3 adult men. If you had for some strange reason those 3 men standing shoulder to shoulder on your second floor, would you be worried about it's ability to hold the weight? It's scarier when it's water, I know. But it'll be fine, even if you don't have it running perpendicular to floor joists.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
bakflip3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:05 AM   #14
And as for breaking, tanks rarely suffer a sudden catastrophic break unless they are hit with something. Any damage is much more likely to start as a slow leak at seams that you'll have time to notice and correct. In 25 years of keeping fish on and off, I've never had even that happen. The odds are in your favor. My advice: Try to stop worrying, fill your tank slowly to check for leaks and enjoy your new tank!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
bakflip3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:00 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
I've never heard of one breaking through a floor and don't exactly know the ratio for turtle tanks but for a aquarium the base is about 10lb/per gallon of water. So if your tank was filled to the top with water 10 x 55 = more or less 550 pounds. Like tree said, try and disperse the weight.

Sent via TARDIS
Think of it this way... a 55g tank is about equivalent to 2 people sitting on a cough weight wise. If your floor can't support that then you have some SERIOUS problems.

As for complete tank failures, I've honestly never heard of it happening. The only instance I've heard of a problem with a major failure is when someone had a cheap stand that basically fell apart when it got wet. Get a decent stand made of solid wood and you will be safe from that.
Mebbid's Fishtopia: Various builds
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:16 PM   #16
I have a 50 gal FO on the second floor. Only problem I ever had is it was a little top heavy. A couple of 6x1/4 inch lags ithrough the cabinet nto the studs behind it solved the problem. If you're still worried make sure it runs across the floor joist and not with them. If you have hardwood floors the finished floor runs across the joist and not with them. If you have carpet thats a little harder to determine. Either way you should be ok. just make sure it is level when you set it up. Hope this helps

proff1949 is offline   Reply With Quote

aquarium, ten

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com