Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-02-2005, 11:02 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
Tiger barbs will generally loose all their color if they are scared and stressed out. It is something i learned from keeping them myself.

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
SerLunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 11:06 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

So are you saying that I should refrain from turning on my light in attempt to get them used to it?

I truly believe that adding more tiger barbs will help to calm the others.

Old 01-02-2005, 11:14 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
Adding more barbs will reduce the agression. I kept 6 and it reduced it greatly. There was another post saying "get a tiemr" i whole-heartedly agree with that as the more you regulate your light on/off times. I personally keep my light on for apx 14 hours due to my live plants growing. Do the barbs loose their color when you turn your light on or just go crazy?

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
Old 01-02-2005, 11:27 PM   #14

I'm not exactly sure if they lose their color, one of them may be a bit less colorful than when i bought them, but basically, they go ballistic!!!

(I can't take the NHL lockout anymore
Flames are awesome!! )
Old 01-02-2005, 11:36 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Off topic: I am so glad that i can watch some junior hockey to help my hockey cravings!! oh and the Fiancee is a Canadians fan so it is a bitter rivalry here (especially since i make her constantly aware of the 88-89 stanley cup series) ... then again she reminds me of the cups they won. ah well, its all in good fun.

now back to on topic....

Barbs are an extremely agressive/active fish. my angels and rainbows go haywire as well when my light goes on. I think it is fairly common going ons (i think). How much research have you done on them?

Old 01-02-2005, 11:46 PM   #16

Off topic: Yes thank heavens for Junior championship! Truly think we'll win this time! (knock on wood). And yes GO HABS GO 88-89.... no comment... could imagine the convos....

I haven't really done much research on them to tell you the truth. I'm fairly new to the whole aquarium hobby. Having many problems but refuse to give up! One of my tiger barbs is actually sick now, and i haven't a QT tank to treat it in.

I guess that I'll try doing some more research online in hopes of incresing my knowledge on this topic.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:55 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

what sort of problems are you having? Just hope that your tetras are good and fast. Tiger barbs get fairly agressive and will probably pick on or kill off your tetras if they can catch them. a QT tank is a great thing. I have been in the hobby for over 3 years now and just lost mine (someone actually broke the whole thing when they drunkenly stumbled into the makeshift stand i had. Really pissed me off but it happens!) I can recommend some sites for fish profiles if you would like. just private message me if you are interested. It is nice to see such enthusiasm! Kudos to you!

Old 01-03-2005, 12:01 AM   #18

well, one of the tiger barbs is constantly still at a 90 degree angle, she eats normally, and seems to have a bit less color than she used to. all water parameters are in check..... My tetras are fine, the barbs never pick on them actually. Sorry to hear bout your QT tank....

I should probably invest in one to try and treat my barb. I tried feeding it a pea as she could be constipated. But didn't seem to work. Any suggetions?
Old 01-03-2005, 02:03 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

best advice is to watch the barb and get a QT tank setup and ccled pretty fast (this can be done by using some water from your existing tank when you syphon it out.) Eating normally is a good thing, so just keep an eye out on the barb. Also, when you get a chance i would go out and get 3 or more barbs to put in your tank. They do so much better when there are 6 or more of them together schoolign around the tank

Old 01-03-2005, 08:37 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have noticed that when i personally turn the lights on or off, my 'more intelligent' fish, like my keyhole cichlids, go crazy. When i got a timer they where completely fine with the light turning on and off. Maybe because they are thinking i'm going to unplug the tank competely or something? Anyway, a timer is very good, after a while the fish will get used to the timer settings and won't be spooked anymore by lights going on and off.
How big is your tank btw?

J'espère que tu as beaucoup de chance avec ton aquarium! Salut!

Tags
light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com