Aquarium light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think this issue has a whole lot more to do with the number of tiger barbs than the light itself. When you have too few of them, they will stress each other out and illness is almost certainly going to result.

This happens when the light goes on because that is when they go into their "pecking order" battles. When you have more of them each one can assume a role in the group and there is less bickering.

Good luck!

Well, light is on, and now instead of having 2 lonely tiger barbs hiding behind the plant, i have a lovely 5 of them doing so ..... :oops: oh well, my timer is set up now, turns on at 11:15 am, and turns off at 11 pm. Gonna cross my fingers and hope it all works out! I'll keep everyone posted.

(attempted a feeding.... didn't coax them out of hiding....)

Tried another small feeding attempt. this time it was successful!!!!!! :):):)

All the barbs (but one) came out to munch on some flakes! Surely enough they went on to hide behind the plant as soon as food was gone, however, progress was made!

I think they will get used to the light sooner than expected!

I thought a school of tiger barbs needed more space than 20 gallons. I have a few in my 55 gallon tank and they have gotten pretty big, almost 3 inches. Won't they be kind of crowded in only 20 gallons? :?

They very well might - it is hard to imagine when you see the wee ones at the LFS, but they are rather beefy and do get some size on them. I have never seen one be the least bit concerned about light though - it is puzzling.

3 inches? uh oh... i guess i won't be adding anymore barbs or any other fish to my tank..... gonna have to buy myself a new one later.

When i bought the tank, it seemed pretty big, but soon enough, I learned that i should have opted for a bigger one.... Newbie mistake i suppose.

Anyway tonight at around 9pm, the barbs came out, and are nervously exploring their surroundings! They seem to be more confortable as time goes by.

Hi adri dand. When you turn the light on for your tank is the room pitch black or is their some ambient light from another room or the room itself. I believe some fish will startle quite easily if its dark and then all of a sudden its brighter then heck. They need time to 'wake up'.

No no, I usually have the light on in the room for about 30 mins before the aquarium light does its thing!

This morning the fish came out 5 minutes after the light went on (11:15am) and went back to hiding around 3pm. I guess that fish will seek shade during the course of the day..... Am i right???

Do the barbs go crazy anytime you come into the room? I have 6 praecox rainbows in my 46 that freakout anytime i come into the room. I'm thinking of wrapping the background around the sides to make them feel a little more comfortable since there will only be 1 side visible to them and me. Both my tanks have been on timers for years although my 80s timer broke last week, but the new one should be here friday

well, the barbs go crazy even when i'm not in the room (i've peaked from around the doorway).

Usually when i approach the tank, they remain calm and seldomly go nutz.

So it has been about 2 and a half weeks that the tank has been under a timer, and I notice a slight improvement in behaviour each day. Basically, the barbs now remain calm when the light goes on or off, and they seems to be adapting to the light just perfectly!

Thanks for all the help everyone has offer me!

Back
Top Bottom