Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2005, 10:21 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Merci beaucoup!

My tank is 20 g.

Will definitely purchase a timer for the lighting.

Old 01-03-2005, 09:46 PM   #22
AA Team Emeritus

I think this issue has a whole lot more to do with the number of tiger barbs than the light itself. When you have too few of them, they will stress each other out and illness is almost certainly going to result.

This happens when the light goes on because that is when they go into their "pecking order" battles. When you have more of them each one can assume a role in the group and there is less bickering.

Good luck!

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 02:20 PM   #23

Have gone out to purchase some more tiger barbs. Going to add 3 more of them, hopefully it will regulate this problem.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:50 PM   #24

Well, light is on, and now instead of having 2 lonely tiger barbs hiding behind the plant, i have a lovely 5 of them doing so ..... oh well, my timer is set up now, turns on at 11:15 am, and turns off at 11 pm. Gonna cross my fingers and hope it all works out! I'll keep everyone posted.

(attempted a feeding.... didn't coax them out of hiding....)
Old 01-04-2005, 07:35 PM   #25

Tried another small feeding attempt. this time it was successful!!!!!!

All the barbs (but one) came out to munch on some flakes! Surely enough they went on to hide behind the plant as soon as food was gone, however, progress was made!

I think they will get used to the light sooner than expected!
Old 01-04-2005, 08:18 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

I thought a school of tiger barbs needed more space than 20 gallons. I have a few in my 55 gallon tank and they have gotten pretty big, almost 3 inches. Won't they be kind of crowded in only 20 gallons?
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 11:17 PM   #27
AA Team Emeritus

They very well might - it is hard to imagine when you see the wee ones at the LFS, but they are rather beefy and do get some size on them. I have never seen one be the least bit concerned about light though - it is puzzling.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 12:00 AM   #28

3 inches? uh oh... i guess i won't be adding anymore barbs or any other fish to my tank..... gonna have to buy myself a new one later.

When i bought the tank, it seemed pretty big, but soon enough, I learned that i should have opted for a bigger one.... Newbie mistake i suppose.

Anyway tonight at around 9pm, the barbs came out, and are nervously exploring their surroundings! They seem to be more confortable as time goes by.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:56 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi adri dand. When you turn the light on for your tank is the room pitch black or is their some ambient light from another room or the room itself. I believe some fish will startle quite easily if its dark and then all of a sudden its brighter then heck. They need time to 'wake up'.
penpitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 05:14 PM   #30

No no, I usually have the light on in the room for about 30 mins before the aquarium light does its thing!

This morning the fish came out 5 minutes after the light went on (11:15am) and went back to hiding around 3pm. I guess that fish will seek shade during the course of the day..... Am i right???

Tags
light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com