aquarium light question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paytertot

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I have had my aquarium for close to a year now and have the same light on it as always. Is that old for a light? Because I went to the pet store looking for algae-fix and the lady told me "dont use algea fix, you probably just need a new light" what do you think about that? Because I know I have a nitrate problem contributing to the algae growth, but what has the light got to do with it?

Do you have plants. Lights can loose intensity over time. It only applies if you have plants.

I've had my 55 gallon tank for a while now but only just recently getting really into it. But I'm also starting to get an algae problem. When I asked the lady at petland, she said not to use algaefix, just to get a new light because mines probly just old. So my dad bought some random new light to put on there (he's really great at doing/ buying random things to fix problems). So I guess my question is, what is my best bet with the algae, and what kind of light SHOULD I have?

Well do you like LED's?

http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquar...neland-Double-Bright-LED-Aquarium-Lights.aspx

Or this is a very nice light also

http://www.google.com/m/products?q=...u&sa=X&ei=aMITT7WgENPJ0AHVtZmGAw&ved=0CDsQrQQ

What type of plants do you have? I have the Solarmax Xtreme fixture. It's a 4 bulb with digital timer. Way over kill but that's me. Both those lights I linked are good lights am have that moonlight effect. The only thing with the Solarmax is there is NO OFF button for the moonlight. It's always on.

Another popular light people have is this one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005KXBMPE/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

Do you still have an algae problem? Is the tank near a window? Is it green algae? Did you try a black out? Depending how bad it was or still is.

Hope I helped! I tried. :)

I'm still new to this but enjoy trying to help. And I know how it feels to have a dead thread, it stinks! ;) I got your back.

Haha thanks bro.
1) I have some swords and a lotus
2) yes I still have the problem
3) I'll post a pic, but no I haven't tried a blackout
4) I'll look into all those lights

paytertot said:
Haha thanks bro.
1) I have some swords and a lotus
2) yes I still have the problem
3) I'll post a pic, but no I haven't tried a blackout
4) I'll look into all those lights

A black out will work. Even throwing a towel over the tank. I've used some of those algae gone stuff from API and nothing really works. Water changes, some scrubbing and sometimes a blackout. Let me know how you make out.

My rope fish decided he'd pop out to pose lol

Attachments

• image-181699484.jpg
    image-181699484.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 80
  • image-4214908647.jpg
    image-4214908647.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 56
Convict2161 said:
A black out will work. Even throwing a towel over the tank. I've used some of those algae gone stuff from API and nothing really works. Water changes, some scrubbing and sometimes a blackout. Let me know how you make out.

Ok kool I'll try it

Convict2161 said:
Brown algae? You sure it's not diatom?

Doesn't look horrible. I was expecting worse lol.

I have no clue lol. And I guess it isn't that bad but I don't like the way it smothers my plants, and it's just plain ugly, it's on literally everything lol

paytertot said:
I have no clue lol. And I guess it isn't that bad but I don't like the way it smothers my plants, and it's just plain ugly, it's on literally everything lol

Yeah when I had diatoms it was everywhere! It got worse then died off.

JesseMessykinn said:
I read that you should change bulbs every 8-12 months... As for the algea Problem, how long do you leave your lights on for?

It's been about 8 or 9 months for me so that's about right. And as for leaving the lights on, the last week or so I've been leaving them on for about 10-12 hours. I thought that was always the plan but I caught my dad leaving them on 24/7!! :headbang:

Back
Top Bottom