Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-18-2005, 10:35 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular
Mandi - all I can say is D'oh ! I've researched ebay for tanks, but it never dawned on me to look for lighting supplies. Thanks for reminding me ! As for Aquabid, my wife recommended me there a couple weeks ago, but just this past weekend they went through some kind of servermove, of which it appeared that many of the auction listings would be reset. I haven't gone back for a bit, just figured I'd give it time to settle again.

Jchillin - Thanks for that wonderful tidbit. Thats the kind of thing I've been hoping to find. I've read SOO much about how 2wpg is the rule of thumb, and anything less, the plants won't thrive. I understand that various plants/strains require more maintenance and more light, I just wanted to know that others have accomplished at least a modestly planted tank with less than or close to 2wpg.

I think when my brain has reengaged in the morning, I'll start a thread regarding bowfront tanks and lighting. I'm really curious to gather some more information on the effects of lighting setups and the bowed front. I really haven't seen many threads mention it in my travels here, but now that you say its an issue, I definately want to research it. My curiousity is whether it would be benficial at all, to setup maybe a tripd of sorts, 2 24" lights in the rear, 1 24" in the front? I want to see what other bow front owners have done to solve this problem.

As for standard versus bowfront cost, I found the AGA 72gl BF for $129+tax (NJ) and standard for $99+tax(NJ). $30 difference is worth the far prettier tank imho. Especially when I have the tools/skill to make the stand. But then again, I'm here to learn and gather information and experience. The more educated we become, the better decisions we can make when the time comes.

72G AGA Bowfront - DIY Oak Stand
- 300W Jager Heater
- Emperor 400 - 40lbs Eco-Complete
- 1 Rainbow Sharks, 2 Marbled Angelfish
- 1 Gold Nugget Pleco
- 5 Red Wag Platys, 2 Gouramies (1xBlue, 1xGold)
- Jebo 110W/220W PC illumination
- Lightly planted(experimenting)
Toker95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 11:28 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus
I've attached my thread on the plant/lights/tank subject. Makes for interesting reading.

Originally Posted by Toker95
The more educated we become, the better decisions we can make when the time comes.
No truer words spoken.

Jchillin is offline   Reply With Quote

aquarium lighting, beginner, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com