Aquarium Management

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dorie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, I accidently posted this in my intro to everyone. Anyways, my friend baught one of these and he told me to check it out...Hi-Q USA Zero Water Exchange Aqarium System what do you guys think about this? I think that its a great concept because I know my dad won't be taking care of these fish, and I can only come in every so often. Anyways Feedback would be nice.

-Dorie

Not buying it. Reads like a reverse UG filter(which is nothing new), replacing the plastic uptubes with things to make them look like SW overflows. Not buying the claims about nitrates either. Unless heavily planted/macro or using an external nitrate removal system/resin water changes are required.

In the end you have a UGF fir bacterial and a power filter for mechanical/chemical. You'll notice they reference plants for nitrate removal scattered throughout the site.

Nothing revolutionary here I suspect

Any product that claims to "eliminate water changes" instantaneously falls into that "if it sounds too good to be true..." category in my book.

Hi Q

I think it seems like it would work.. It says guaranteed or your money back.
http://www.hiq-usa.com/Bright_future_for_tiger_grouper_fish_farming.asp

They have an article on their site of a fish farming concept I think I may have actually heard about a while back. I think they actually had something on the news about it. They farm fish in huge tanks and never change the water by recreating the same type of biology(dont know if its the correct term for this lol) that happens in a pond.

I'm going to look into it a little more, this is interesting and seems right for me. My father is to old to be changing the water.

Any product that claims to "eliminate water changes" instantaneously falls into that "if it sounds too good to be true..." category in my book.
I agree with Kurt!

Anyways I actually like doing PWC it's relaxing to me. I guess I am weird for thinking that lol.

From the little reading I have done, those systems seem to be used in commercial business, meaning way more money and way more sophisticated equipment.

Is this a reintroduction? Wasn't this exact filtration unit offered around 5yrs ago?...Hmmm, I vaguely remember such similarities. Either way, it is bunk and nothing more than a reverse flow UGF as Ahab stated.

I think I will stick to the water changes. I know things improve with a PWC. Don't know what that thing will do. I certainly isn't going to go into any Reef tank I have...maybe a FW tank.....Nah....Not interested here....

I've been doing some research googleing Hi-Q USA Zero Water Exchange Aqarium System and actually came up with some intrestin info but I can't seem to find the link. It said some guy was doing a product review on it for a magazine called FAMA. Have any of you heard of this magazine? I'm interested in what he has to say about it. I wish I was able to remember what forum I read it on.

I think the whole thing that makes this system different than other systems is the mineral blocks.Zero Water Exchane Technology - Hi-Q USA Zero Water Exchange Aqarium System. It says they turn nitrates into harmless nitrogen gass on there.

I get FAMA. It was not in last month's issue, unless I missed it. I'll have to check tomorrow when I get into work. We have a member on this site that writes for them.
He has his own website, but that is linked at work too.

Interesting that even with all the negative feedback, you're still thinking this product is the best thing since sliced bread. Even more interesting is the fact that all your posts since joining this site have to do with this product, with nice built-in hyperlinks and everything.

Hmmm... I think I smell an advertisement disguised as a thread. Nah... couldn't be, right? :rolleyes:

I think I will stick to the water changes. I know things improve with a PWC. Don't know what that thing will do. I certainly isn't going to go into any Reef tank I have...maybe a FW tank.....Nah....Not interested here....
was thinking the same...:bowl:

Interesting that even with all the negative feedback, you're still thinking this product is the best thing since sliced bread. Even more interesting is the fact that all your posts since joining this site have to do with this product, with nice built-in hyperlinks and everything.

Hmmm... I think I smell an advertisement disguised as a thread. Nah... couldn't be, right? :rolleyes:
oops posted the wrong quote lol

I tend to agree Kurt...

Back
Top Bottom