Aquarium Pharmaceuticals tap water filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Give us a link so we can learn more about it. I personally dont use it, but I am sure some vets of this site could give you a good idea of how good it would be.

Works fine for me. I aquired (bought used units) 3 units and separated the resins. In the first one inline I put carbon, the second had about 1/3 carbon and then 2/3 color change anionic resin, and the third was all the tan coloured cationic resin.
For me it was too expensive to buy so I arranged with an LFS to offer $2 for each spent cartridge that other hobbyists could trade in on new ones and that gave me a large supply. I purchased sodium hydroxide and hydrochloric acid and recharged the resins.

I used this unit when I first started my tank and was very underwhelmed by it. The filtration is not that great and the cartridges exhaust themselves after about a month, so it is actually it is a more expensive unit in the longrun than the $100 6 stage ro/di unit I purchased from filter direct on ebay. Ro/di is the way to go and I highly reccommend skipping the tap water filter because it is a waste of money for a subpar product.

I am happy with mine. I get about 80g per cartridge. If you have a soft water supply and a 50g tank or smaller its a fine alternative. DI units remove more impurities than RO alone.

Ive looked on ebay for the RO/DI units and noticed all kinds of brands and models,
which one should I get or better question is what do I look for in a RO/DI unit?Can someone post a link? TIA

For me, the real waste is the water pouring down the drain that is rejected by the membrane. I have to pay not just for the water, but a drainage fee meant to replace aging drain systems, that is based on the amount of water going through my meter, not just what I actually use.
I go through at least 170g a week, and with just over 400g in containers in my service room already, I have no room to store any more just to use in my gardens in the all too short summer gardening season.
For a very modest outlay, the used purchases of the main units, the used cartridges, and the chemicals needed, I can recharge and supply large quantities of DI water for my systems.
THE REAL KICKER NOW, is that I don't have to use either anymore.
I discovered that the tap water in my city is good enough that all I have to do is age the water for the chlorine to dissipate, so for the last few years I've not used anything on my water.
I am keeping all the tap water purifier equipment though just in case conditions change.

Back
Top Bottom