Aquarium plant tools

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never tried any tools like that. That looked tempting though.

Did you end up getting it? I wasn't quite sure on the length?

I feed my moray eel with that very tool.
I havea second one that I use to shove plants into my sub on my 180G.
They hold on pretty well.
Never used the scissors?

How do these tools go for planting? I've always wondered. I know I'm pretty ham-fisted with planting using fingers but using these I'm a little worried I will crush stems?

I have broken a stem or two before.
I am not the plant guy by any stretch!
I have gravel and sand for sub so sometimes the gravel is rough on stems when I try to shove them in.
Works pretty good IMO and definitely keeps my arms drier .

For your more petite, delicate specimens and when planting around hardscape, I find that the curved stainless steel tongs work best. They are smaller and easier to navigate in tight spaces. Yes, your hands get wet for the most part.
Tip: When planting, I find that after nestling the plant into the substrate if you drag the planting tool horizontally away from the plant, you are less likely to uproot it. For some reason if I lift straight up, I end up dragging the plant up as well. Most frustrating!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the links, they look nice. I was wondering if any preference on metal vs plastic?

I've seen metal plant tongs recently at lfs (hideously expensive but Aussie dollar making postage expensive as well).

I have used plastic gravel scrapers and found these ok.

Saw a pair of metal multipurpose tongs here at lfs and grabbed them to try out for planting stem plants. The hygro gets to decent size before I trim it and replant so hopefully these tongs will go ok and speed things up. Pretty cheap too.

Back
Top Bottom