aquarium reinforcement question (technical)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zuzecawi

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, I mentioned before, I have this used 58 gal Oceanic R.R. tank... well, it's advertised as having a "starphire glass center support" but there's no such thing on it. I know it's an older tank, and I'm wondering, did it EVER have a center support? Should I put one on it before I get too into it? It's empty of everything but live sand right now, so draining it and placing one in wouldn't be too hard yet, I have a smaller tank I could put the live sand in. Does anybody else here have one of these aquariums?

How thick is the glass? When you say its advertised as having a center support do you mean new tanks of this configuration are advertised like this or do you mean when you purchased the tank the seller talked of it having a center support?

The thickness of the glass will go along way in telling us how stable the tank is with out the support. For example I have an old school 75 gal tank with 5/8" thick glass that does not have a center support cause it does not need one. New 75's on the other hand have center supports because their overall glass thickness is lower.

How thick is the glass? When you say its advertised as having a center support do you mean new tanks of this configuration are advertised like this or do you mean when you purchased the tank the seller talked of it having a center support?

It's real thick, I'll try to find a gauge, but eyeballin it it looks 1/2 inch if not an 1/8th more. The new ones are advertised as having a center brace... this tank doesn't have any silicone frags or anything to suggest it had one that fell out. It looks pretty solid, although there's a slight gap at top center between glass hood/cover and tank trim. The gap is less than half as wide as the glass. I'm just being super uber cautious because I REALLY want this to last and be nice.

If you can put the tank someplace on a flat surface like a garage or carport where you can then fill the tank for observation. First take measurements front to back at the center when teh tank is empty and then fill the tank with water and take the same measurement. A tank that does not need a center support will not bow in the middle or if it does bow it will bow a very small amount (1/8" or so). If the center brace is needed and has been removed the tank should bow out visably sometimes as much as 1/2" or more after the pressure of the water is put on the glass.

Back
Top Bottom