Aquarium-Safe Small Netting/Screen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rokuzachi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm looking to build a cover out of small plastic(nylon?) netting, since I don't like to use my glass canopies and even when I do, fish can still get out.

Has anyone else done this? I was thinking something like 1/4" netting, like you might see at a garden store or home supply place. I've actually had trouble tracking down 1/4", as 1/2" seems to be more common and 3/4" some sort of standard. All the local hardware store seems to have is the super-fine stuff for screen doors which will block too much light.

So any tips, advice, product names or suppliers are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

have you heard of egg crate im not sure what it is but im lookin into it so when i get gobies i dont gotta wory bout jumpers

have you heard of egg crate im not sure what it is but im lookin into it so when i get gobies i dont gotta wory bout jumpers

I checked it out at my local Home Depot, but had read that it diffuses a lot of light which is something I don't want since my tanks have copious amounts of live plants in them. Thanks though.

no problems i didnt know it difued alot of light what about something like a window screen or even check out your local craft store

There is clear light diffuser. It is much smaller than eggcrate and it might work it is kinda like really small diamonds shapes.

I believe some use the same material as a wedding vale (sp??). I would think you can get something like it as a craft store.

Are you sure that egg crate will diffuse the light? I was planning on getting some for my tank as well figuring that would be the easiest solution...

I have no personal experience with the eggcrate, but in my search I came across people discussing it in other forums and some said that "it diffuses much more light than you'd expect", so I decided to look for small netting instead.

Back
Top Bottom