aquarium setup in a plastic container

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nilesh7318

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was having a aquarium about 15 years back and I love the hobby from childhood. Now I want to start an aquarium again. But the price of new aquariums is very high. So I would like to start the hobby on a lower budget and when I have sufficient experience, I would go for a good fish tank. It will help me get sufficient experience before I invest money in a good fish tank, otherwise it will be a waste of money.

So I was planning to start my aquarium in a rectangular shaped plastic container with a lid. The plastic container is transparent (not highly transparent as glass) and available in two sizes 65 liters and 130 liters. I will place it on the floor without any stand. And there is plenty of sunlight in my room.
I am planning to make a DIY aquarium filter for this having three stage filtration, having carbon, ceramic rings and sponge.

I am also doing a lot of research on the internet on fishkeeping and aquariums. Hence I think I will able to do things correctly.

So can I do this and how do you like my plan. What capacity of the container I must use 65 lit or 130 lit. is this idea possible in reality. What do you think.

Any container that's not a standard aquarium needs to be food safe. (Many goldfish keepers use plastic bins, although I don't.)

My online calculator shows 130 liters equals roughly 34 US gallons. That's the smallest size I'd use.

Not sure why you want carbon in your filter.

Now, for the sake of the hypothetical discussion - let's say your container aquarium cycles properly and is a smashing success. (I'm assuming you mean to mean to do FW tropical. If not, I'm sure there will be many saltwater tank owners who will try real hard to talk you out of this.)

So you go buy a proper fish tank. Then what? I don't think you will be able to transfer everything out of your plastic bin into your aquarium and call it good.

Could you get a little more detailed with your plan?

thanks for the reply. i am not aware if the container is food grade, it is a transparent plastic bin sold at IKEA (i will check that). yes i want a freshwater tropical aquarium. i was thinking of setting up this tank so that i get experienced in fish keeping (about one year or so) and then buy a proper fish tank after that.
i want to use carbon for chemical filtration, but will not use it if its not required.

Back
Top Bottom